Chapter 4: First Case

Female Co-worker A: Eh? What Winters is like? He's annoying! He thinks he can get a woman just with his looks? So lame.

Female Co-worker B: He flirted with three girls in the same room at the same time. Shameless. He's so shameless. He even pushed me against the wall and had the audacity to ask me out!

Male Co-worker E: I don't even know where to start. He's uncooperative and won't do his part. Teamwork doesn't exist in that guy's dictionary. He just goes off and does his own thing without telling anybody!

Vincent: Didn't your cases with him get solved either way?

Male Co-worker E: ...That's not the point! The point is he's insufferable!

That random dude: My ex fell for his looks and broke up with me.

Vincent: ...

That random dude: I will never let my current girlfriend come near this place ever.

After interviewing several people who knew Daniel personally and have experienced his irritating behavior, Vincent has come to a final conclusion. Daniel Winters is the exact opposite of the Daniel Winters he met a few hours ago.

"Are you sure that was Daniel?" Vincent asked once more. It was break and Jackson and Vincent were having lunch together at a food hall. Scarlett was supposed to join them for lunch, but putting Scarlett and Vincent on the same table is like getting a free ticket to a wrestling match, so she went to have lunch with someone else.

Jackson felt like a broken recorder as he lifelessly said, "Yes."

"You weren't near to see-"

"His build and hair are a dead give away, Vince. I may have been far away at the time, but I'm sure he was Daniel." Before Vincent could ask anything else, Jackson shushes him and pays back with his own question. "Why were you even with him in the first place?"

"Because..."

At that moment, Vincent had several flashbacks about the Daniel that he had met. The Daniel he met possessed none of those traits mentioned by so many people. Instead, he was much more polite, socially awkward and timid. Or is that how Daniel interacts with new people he meets? No, a random guy testified his side of the story, Daniel will be Daniel no matter what, to new people or people he already knows.

But who was the Daniel who treated him to breakfast? Did Daniel have a twin brother or something?

"Look, it was mere coincidence." Was Vincent's answer to Jackson's question. Jackson didn't seem to buy it with the stink eye he was giving, but he said nothing in the end. Vincent asks, "Do you happen to know if he has a brother or...?"

"No, but he has a little sister." Jackson answers. "Why are you so interested in him?"

"I-I'm not." Vincent immediately replied. "It's just that..."

"That?"

"...You wouldn't believe me."

"Hey, talk to me. I'm the one that asked anyway."

"He's not like the rumors or anything the others say about him." Vincent explained. "When I met Daniel, he was timid, had an aura of someone who's socially inept and he treated me to breakfast."

Jackson blinked at him, silent for a moment.

"...You're right, I don't believe you."

Vincent rolls his eyes and shoves meat into his mouth.