After - Part 3 (Finale)

Warnings: Blood, childbirth, fluff, family time, mentions of death

Words: 1.2k

(I can't remember if I made the baby a girl or boy last time. So it's a girl this part)

"Laurie, I can't sleep because of the baby. It's on my bladder and I cant sleep on my sides." Charlotte wined to her husband who was already laying in bed waiting for her.

"Why don't you just go to the bathroom then sit up in bed?" Laurie suggested.

"Because then my bladder hurts and I couldn't fall asleep either. Can you just get some extra pillows?" Charlotte pouted, Laurie smile and got up to kiss her lips before moving to the closet where the pillows had been placed. He had set up a ring so she could sit and have her back supported while still laying back a little.

"All set milady." Laurie said gesturing for his wife to lay down.

"This baby better come out soon. I don't know how long I can go without proper sleep."

"Any day now." Laurie said as Charlotte laid down. Pressing a kiss to her belly.

Charlotte really thought it was a boy while Laurie thought it was going to be a girl. There where bets going on which gender the baby would be.

"This is definitely the last one Laurie. I can't keep doing this." Charlotte pouted crossing her arms as Laurie chuckled.

"Whatever you say dear."

"Come on Charlotte push. The baby's almost here!" Marmee told Charlotte.

Laurie winced because once again, Charlotte was squeezing his hand so hard it was turning white. Laurie wasn't complaining if this was the last time his hand went through this.

"She's here!" Marmee said quickly taking the baby and rubbing her to warm her up.

"Marmee?" Laurie asked examining Charlotte who was heavily panting and wincing. "Marmee!"

"Ahhh my head!" Charlotte winced and Laurie quickly grabbed some ice from the basket and pressed it to the temples.

"Continue icing her Laurie. Don't let her get to warm." Marmee said, as the baby started crying. Which was a good sign.

"Laurie.." Charlotte groaned gripping his hand.

"I know Lottie. I know." Laurie said, trying to keep her from thrashing around to much.

"Charlotte I'm going to need you to stay awake okay? You're baby needs you to stay awake." Marmee said.

Laurie was starting to become anxious. This had never happened with their other children.

"Laurie go update the others about the baby and we'll take care of Charlotte." Marmee ordered, but Laurie didn't move.

"Laurie move. You need to move so we can help her." The doctor said, as Laurie sighed but moved aside, watching the doctor put a cloth on her forehead and pull out a needle. 

"Wait what are you doing?" Laurie asks trying to step forward, only for Fredrick to hold him back. 

"You wife's developed a little air sack in her lungs and it's crushing them.We nee to pop it so that she can breathe." He said, sticking the needle in her chest as a little puff of air could be heard. 

"It worked!" Marmee said,  wiping up the blood on her chest and apply another cold cloth on her forehead. 

"Laurie..." Charlotte moaned reaching out for him as he quickly rushes to her side.

"Charlotte! You're going to be okay. I'm here. You're okay." He said pressing a kiss to her forehead as she nods and tilts his head down to kiss him.

"What are you going to name her?" Marmee asks cradling the baby in her arms swaying back and forth. 

"We where thinking Autumn." Laurie says as everyone smiles and coos. 

"That's a beautiful name you guys." Amy says, as Marmee hands her the baby. "She looks like you Lottie." 

"I know, it's about time. The last two have looked like Laurie." Charlotte jokes, but everyone could tell she was exhausted. 

"Well, we'll let you rest darling. You did great." Marmee says as everyone nods and leaves except Laurie. 

"This is the last time I'm doing this." Charlotte whispers to Laurie as he nods and presses a kiss to her hand, only to look up and see she had already fallen asleep.

"How long was it?" Amy asked, rubbing her pregnant stomach.

"Much longer than the last, unfortunately." Charlotte joked looking at the sleeping baby. "Around 12 hours not including the surgery after. Don't worry this doesn't always happen." Before anyone could say anything Autumn started stirring in her arms. One of the things that Charlotte had found out that going on walks had helped the baby calm down so Charlotte excused herself and swaddled the baby. She was going to take a little stroll to the cemetery to see her father and sister. 

"Hey wait for me!" Laurie said, tripping down the stairs to catch up with his wife. "I want to see my grandfather as well." 

"How did you know I was going to the graveyard?" Charlotte asked. 

"You've been going there a lot recently," Laurie said taking the baby out of her arms. "I thought you shouldn't be alone this time." As they approached the graveyard Charlotte saw the few dead flowers sitting on top of Beth's grave. She quickly spun around and plucked a purple wildflower from the ground and a few other wildflowers for the other graves. 

"Here. I'll go place the flowers down. You go see your sister." Laurie said taking the flowers and handing her the small baby. Charlotte nodded and slowly approached and knelled down to her sisters grave. 

"I remembered that you liked Autumn so I named my daughter for you. I know it's not as good as 'Beth', but its still for you," Charlotte chuckled before a tear fell down her cheek. "I miss you so much, I miss hearing the piano before supper, and your conversations you would have with your dolls. We all miss you," Charlotte said as she felt Laurie place a hand on her shoulder and kneel beside her. 

"Are you okay?" Laurie asked, wiping a few tears away with the pad of his thumb as Charlotte nodded. She quickly collected herself before standing up noticing the baby had fallen back asleep. 

"Let's go back. I don't want to worry Marmee," Charlotte quickly said as Laurie stopped her. 

"Are you okay Charlotte? Please, if your feeling sad tell me. We can stay longer. Marmee was the one who told me to come with you, she knows well be out her for a while." Laurie pleaded. 

"I'm just so upset that I wasn't here when she died. It's something I'm never going to forgive myself for." Charlotte sobbed, covering her mouth with a hand. "I failed her as her sister. That was the one thing I was supposed to do. " 

"Stop, this isn't your fault. You know that Beth knew that, everyone knows that. We where trying to get home as fast as we could. Have you really been feeling like this for five years?" Laurie asked as Charlotte nodded, "it's not your fault." 

After a few minutes of hugging they both decided to go back to the house to talk a little bit more with the family before heading home. 

"I want to have a special day tomorrow where we come together an tell stories about Beth, father, Mr. Lawrence. Everyone we lost, now that we're all here together." Charlotte said to all her family. 

"That sounds like a great idea Lottie," Jo said tearing up. 

"I want all the children to know about there wonderful aunt and brave grandfathers." Amy said bouncing Demi on her lap.

" We can all get together at our place then," Laurie said smiling at Charlotte ask she smiled and kissed his cheek. 

Finally thing where starting to feel right.