chapter twenty-five

Chapter Twenty-Five

Once someone is listed on a sex offender registry, they can never disappear. Dennis Laughlin was under an alias, but he wasn't off the grid. After he was released, he changed his name to Dan Poindexter. It didn't make much of a difference since it was all recorded and written for the world to see. Within seconds, she had an address and a plan.

Her bank account wasn't full, but she had enough to book a flight to Birmingham. She couldn't explain why she did it, but the tickets were easily purchased. She had a roundtrip to Alabama scheduled, and she was due to leave in the morning.

She didn't waste time in justifying herself to her parents. She told them where she was going and knew they would fill in the blanks. Her anger had grown quieter, but it was still brewing. Her mother was smart; she would know Lexi was going after Dennis without it being explicitly stated.

Her bag was only packed for one day. She didn't think it would have to be longer than that. For some reason, she couldn't slow down once she got started. From the moment she started stuffing clothes into a duffel, she kept moving. It was the only way she could keep herself going. If she stopped, she might start to doubt the plan.

I have to do this, she reminded herself. It was her way of finding closure the only way she knew how. It scared her to think she was going to face Dennis, but she was even more scared of never knowing what happened to him. She needed to shut the door, but she couldn't until she got answers.

And so, by nine am the next day, she was in a rental car, driving to a shady trailer park outside of the city.