Chapter Fifteen

The front row of the theater was filled with the Avengers and their families, and Peter glanced around the curtain at the crowd behind them. Natasha and Peter had easily been accepted into the performance. Natasha was right, Peter showing up in pointe shoes eliminated the majority of the men that were auditioning for the role he wanted.

It didn't take long for the rest of the male cast to despise him, but the women loved him. His boy-ish charm sent them all to protect him, Natasha right front and center. Still, he was terrified that the audience wouldn't appreciate a small, slim guy over a muscular "God."

"It'll be okay, little spider," Natasha said as she walked over to Peter. She tapped his hip, and he glanced at her allowing the small opening in the curtain to flutter close. "Just focus on the front row. Nobody behind that row matters, got it?"

Peter nodded, and his spider-senses tingled. He glanced around. Of course, one of the men were staring at him because he was with Natasha, the lead of the choreography and story.

He frowned and took in a deep breath, exhaling slowly before he followed Natasha toward the back of the stage. There were mirrors for the women to apply makeup, and Peter noted how very skilled they all were.

"Curtains up in five," a director hollered, and everyone mumbled out some type of response.

As the performance began, Peter's stomach twisted, and his anxiousness came back in waves. Natasha was on stage almost immediately, and he tried to remember the breathing exercises she had showed him.

By the time Peter needed to go onto stage, he just felt sick. However, Natasha turned to him and she widened her smile, silently telling him to smile. Peter did, and he forced himself on stage as he performed the first of his many parts.

The crowd cheered, loud, and Peter could imagine Aunt May lost in it, screaming his name, Uncle Ben right beside her.

***

"That was amazing," Wanda said as she rushed over to the two after the performance. Peter laughed as she bounced on the balls of her feet, and Natasha smiled as she threw her arm around Wanda's neck. "I can't believe you hid that you could do that, Peter."

"I hide a lot of things," Peter said, meaning it as a joke, but the words came out much more serious. Wanda gave him a strange look and he forced out a cautious laugh. "I'm kidding!"

"Great job out there, kid," Tony Stark said as he got through the crowd, the rest of the Avengers behind him, "and Nat." Natasha waved her hand. She had been praised far too many times by the Avengers in her opinion.

They all praised the two dancers, and Pepper brought both a bouquet of flowers. Peter awkwardly took them, and Natasha smiled as Peter stopped one of the younger girls -- who looked upset to say the least -- and handed the flowers off to her. She beamed, if only for a moment, and thanked Peter.

"So, what are we eating for dinner?" Sam asked as he threw his arms around Peter's shoulders. "I'm starving, and if the two of you are not after all of that exercise, I need to start ballet."

Peter laughed and he shook off Sam's arm. "Can we get out of this ever-growing crowd before we plan where to go?" Peter asked and everyone agreed.

They ended up eating takeout from a Chinese restaurant, and when they arrived back at the Avengers Compound, Peter and Natasha went to the studio in the main room. Wanda sat in to watch.

Peter was much more confident, and he had regained one of the only things he had truly loved doing for the majority of his life.

"I can just envision Aunt May telling me how proud she is," Peter told Natasha and Wanda as he sat up against the mirror. Wanda watched him, and she tested a smile.

"I'm sure she would be, little spider," Natasha responded.

A.N.

This is the final chapter. Unless, I decide to post an epilogue. I apologize for this fanfiction being short, but it told the story that I wanted. Er, at least, what I could write with the tiniest bit of love for the chapters. I didn't want to hate anything I posted and assumed starting small would be a good way to go. Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed this story as much as I did! :)