Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Niall sent a text back, confirming that he would speak with Daisy. Louis tucked his phone into the pocket of his pants, gave thanks for Niall and allowed his gaze to return to the girl he'd noticed.  

He set his plate down, crossed his arms and leaned against the table. As he watched her, a slow, lazy smile stretched across his face. Outside, the rain had picked up and the wind howled a vicious scream but watching her was like being in the midst of a heatwave. She radiated. Her arms spread out at her sides and she twirled sending her chestnut colored hair fanning around her. She was seemingly lost in a world all her own and it only took Louis a second to decide he wanted to be part of it.  

She wore a blood red dress that was snug at the top but tapered out at the bottom, offering him a view of shapely legs. Her eyes skimmed over him and she flashed him a sly, encouraging grin. Not one to waste time, Louis walked to the spot she'd claimed on the dance floor.  

"Hello. I'm-" 

Before he could even formally introduce himself, she extended her hand. "Louis Tomlinson," she said. "I know. I'd have to be living under a rock if I didn't. Oh, not to mention, you are the guest of honor." She nodded to a poster, "Happy Birthday."  

He kept his grip on her hand. "Thank you," he said. "Apologies for the obvious display of ego. I swear it isn't mine."  

"Don't apologize for being you, who is also coincidentally, famous. Besides, you give everyone here something to be proud of," she said. Her eyes darted to their hands, hers still encircled in his grip. "I'm Ashley."  

"You're beautiful." Oops. He hadn't meant to say that out loud.  

Instead of shying away, Ashley held her head high and looked him in the eyes. "Maybe so," she said. "But I'm still Ashley."  

"Beautiful Ashley, then," he decided.  

Her face flushed with color at the same time his heart began to beat faster and he was quite positive she was the prettiest girl he'd ever seen. "Do you fancy dancing by yourself?"  

"I fancy dancing," she said. "And there was no one here to dance with. I won't let the fact that I'm alone stop me. So yes, I guess a shorter answer to your question is I do fancy dancing by myself."  

Louis crooked his arm for her to take. "An admirable trait," he said, "but may I cut in on yourself?"  

She laughed and gave a faux southern accent and looping her arm through his, accepted his invitation. "Why Mr. Tomlinson. I thought you'd never ask."  

He led her to the far end of the dance floor and happily put his arms around her, not quite able to believe his luck. She was different. Every nerve in his body told him so, had he stayed home and not come, who knew what he'd be missing now. Coming to the party was a wise decision.  

Louis and Ashley began to sway to the music as a group of people closed in around them. They held up cell phones and flashes from cameras went off. Ashley was nearly the same color as her dress with all the attention. He pulled her closer and whispered, "Don't let them make you nervous, love. You'll get used to it."  

Like a pro, she kept the smile that was on her face firmly in place and spoke through her teeth. "I am not sure I'd ever get used to this."  

"I know it's perhaps a bit strange at first," he said. "But if you suffer through this dance with me. I'd love to go somewhere, just the two of us."  

He twirled her around and as she whirled back in his arms, she said. "You're the guest of honor."  

"And therefore," he said. "I reckon I can do whatever I want. Besides, it's not like leaving a party is unruly behavior. Quite the opposite."