Chapter 2

I stood in the group of 16 year old girls and stared defiantly at Effie Trinket. Effie Trinket, the chauffeur for District 12. Oh, I hate her with a passion, from her annoying voice to her bubblegum pink hair. She treated the Games like they were a gift from god. No joke.

"Oh I just love that..." She sighed and my eye twitched "Now, on to the part we've all been waiting for!" Uh, no. "Ladies first!" She chirped and put her hand into the jar filled with names. Eventually she pulled one out. "Primrose Everdeen." Can I strangle her now? I looked at Prim and started screaming her name.

I could barely breathe.
"Prim!" I yelped in horror "Prim!" I screeched I tried to grab her hand in fear but she was yanked from my grasp I stammered, and in a panic my hand shot up without giving myself permission to do so.

"I VOLUNTEER!!!! I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE!!!" My heart sunk, I had just signed my death wish. "A volunteer?" Effie asked excitedly. Yes a volunteer. "Come up dear, come up Miss-?" I finished for her "Everdeen. Katniss." She nodded "Ah, Primrose's sister?" I nodded and she yelled "Our first ever volunteer! Katniss Everdeen!"

I closed my eyes in defeat as my little sister howled in horror and agony, trying to get to me, my best friend Gale held her back. Effie just ignored it and walked over to the other jar.

"And our dashing tribute from the boys," she put her hand in the jar and pulled out a name "Peeta Mellark." She called and I recognised the name, Peeta, the baker's son. The look of horror on his face saddened me. His older brothers shrank back like he had the plague and I flinched, the poor boy.