Broken Christmas

He stood there, feeling the cold winter breeze through his sweater shirt. He tightly squeezed his eyes and cursed the God he once knew.

It had been months since he encountered a car accident on their way to a fieldtrip together with his beloved Mom and Dad. The exact day that he lost his parents. It had been months since he lost his sense of sight and yet, he couldn't memorize the right steps on his way to his home.

He should have accepted the plea of the nurse who assisted the opthalmologist who monthly checks his eyes. But he was too stupid to turn the nice woman down, saying that he could manage, even if he couldn't.

And now, he was lost in the middle of nowhere, like a kid lost in a sea of people. He could hear the christmas carols being played on the radio, the children were squealing and even the footsteps from other people. Everyone must be busy, it's the 20th day of December, just five days before christmas.

He sighed in frustration. What's good about being blind, he get to hear everything, for it was the only way to have a grasp of the reality that he once took for granted. And now, he was left with nothing but his ears. He wanted to see, but he couldn't. What could a blind man like him possibly do when he lost his sense of direction? Nothing. Unless, he'd swallow his pride and ask someone who was kind enough to take the liberty on bringing him to his home sweety home. But he wouldn't do that, even if he could.

For no apparent reason, he started shaking as tears began falling from his eyes. He was hopeless. He took a step and tried finding his way but stopped when someone held her hands.

"Hey, you alright?" a woman's voice filled his ears. For the first time after grieving for the loss of his parents, for the loss of his sight and the loss of his old life, someone asked him if he was alright. Trivial, yes it was. But he wasn't alright and no one dared to ask him that. Just this once.

And there, at that very moment with a complete stranger, he started sobbing, crying the tears he only cry at night where no one could possibly hear him.

Truth be told, after telling the stranger about his dillema, the woman named Brielle took him to his place. And not just that, she even prepared him a decent meal, which he never had after the accident. They shared the dinner together, and he had the opportunity to get to know Brielle better. He found out that she was just a tourist trying to enjoy his town. Brielle came somewhere, one that she never bothered sharing, and he never asked about, thinking that he'd be getting out of the boundaries if he do so.

After dinner, she finally bid her goodbye, saying that she'd pass by the next day to make him a meal again, an idea he delighted. And just before he drifted off to dreamland, a curve line became apparent on his lips. He was smiling and it puzzled him, why would he smile when he never even feign one through the months that passed?

The next day, she came back, together with the loads of stories she had in her hometown. She even told him about Jesus and why people should celebrate christmas. Normally, he wouldn't listen to that. But Brielle was different. And for some unknown reason, he started believing in God again. She cooked pasta, and again, they shared it on the dining table.

It was a repititive action. She'd knock on his door, cook dinner, talk about random stuffs and leave. And he'd be left with nothing but a smile, another memory to remember and his heartbeats' faster than its usual motion.

The routine continued for days, until the 24th day came and he asked her to stay. She was too nice not to turn him down, telling him that she didn't have anyone to spend the christmas with, might as well spend it with him, her newly found friend. And so, they celebrated it together, sharing the food she prepared, the pizza he ordered and the rootbeer that was stocked on his fridge.

His heart thumped when she held his hand, bringing him outside his house. It was nothing special. But he felt like he was going to burst. He was so happy, the word itself couldn't even keep up to what he was feeling.

And no, not just that. The moment she held his hand, he finally knew, he was inlove to his stranger friend. He was trying to keep it to himself, for he knew that she wouldn't even believe him. Four days, too short to fall, but it was what he felt at the moment.

"Merry Christmas, Dylan." He smiled after hearing her sweet voice.

"Merry Christmas...love."

And as if on cue, the cold wind brushed his face, bringing snowflakes with it. But it never hindered him from doing what he want. He kissed her, passionately, trying to make her feel the love he had for her. And she responded. Only God knows how his heart fluttered when she kissed him back.

But his heart almost broke when he heard what she said.

"No, Dy. This isn't right. I'm not here to love you."

He heard her footsteps and those steps were like daggers finding its way to hurt him in every possible way.

"No, you can't leave me." he cried as hasty tears flow from his blind eyes.

Christmas should be a happy celebration, right? But this was Christmas for him. An abrupt kiss...and a broken heart.

The next day, he woke up when he felt someone kissed his forehead. He didn't bother to open his eyes, for it wouldn't even change a thing. He still couldn't see anything.

"I'm sorry, Dylan. I tried not to...i tried not to love you. But I failed and it isn't right. I'm sorry."

He felt her feathery kisses on both his eyes and the only thing he could do was to stay still and wait. Just when the time that Dylan was about to call her name, he heard her footsteps and he knew, she was never coming back.

He opened his eyes and was shocked when he realized that he could see every single thing. It was a miracle and he finally get an idea of what had actually happened. Slowly, he stood up, tears were already falling from his eyes when he saw a piece of paper placed on the table. His nimble hands took hold of it and looked at the cursive handwriting of Brielle. His sobs grew louder when he read its content.

Humans? Oh, they're weak. They fail, they cry for the littlest things. They whine like idiots. They kept on committing mistakes. They're so much obsessed with the earthly pleasures that they forget how great their life is. They care to much. They fret. They're all losers.

But despite every negativities they possesses, they have something that I wish I can have. The ability to love. The freedom to express what they feel. Only humans can do that.

I wish, an angel like me could...love too.