Chapter 18

Avery

I stand super still afraid.
Afraid of what exactly, I don't know. But I do know if I stand still enough he'll mistake me for a statue and won't ask me what I am doing here.
Yupp. Brilliant. I should be a conspirator or something I've got some brilliant plans up my sleeve I think to myself as I end up chuckling at my thoughts.

I immediately shut up as Hayden stand intimidatingly before me, raising an eyebrow at me.
Right. I'd make a terrible statue.

"What are you doing here?"

"I make a terrible statue!"

No.
No no no.
I can't believe I just said that. My eyes widen at myself and Hayden looks at me with a look that is so unusual on his perfect face it gives me creeps.
Confusion; I realize. He's looking at me with confusion.

"I mean not a terrible terrible statue, I'd make a pretty decent one actually. I don't know I've personally never tried it but it's a little presumptuous to just assume that I won't be good at it! I am sure if given the opportunity I'll rise to the occasion to become the best statue ever. Like ever." I finish in a huff.

Great start Aves. Way to go.

His eyebrows furrows and he just seems to be more confused.

"So let me understand this, you're here, Avery Marshall, because you'd like to be a ..statue?" He says slowly as if addressing an imbecile.

"What no of course not, you got that from what I said?" I reply back trying to be nonchalant but failing miserably as I can feel myself reddening at the exchange. The treacherous blush of embarrassment grazing all over my cheeks and neck as I refuse to look at him in the eye.

"So you don't want to be a statue?" He replies being all smooth and suave with it and everything. Dick.

I shake my head violently not trusting to open my mouth again. I slowly dare to look up and boy am I appalled to see the devil of the man suppressing a smirk.

"Statue or not" he continues "eitherway I don't understand how I can be of any help in the department." He says again his voice laced with amusement.
He isn't even trying to suppress anything anymore; he's full on smirking!

Dick.

"What did you just say to me?" He asks dangerously and that's just more confusing cuz he's smirking even harder if that's possible.

Oh no. Oh no no no. God, please don't let this be one of those times where I accidentally say things out loud. Please god.
You don't call Hayden Xavier Knight a dick and get away with it.

"That's right, you don't." He says and boy screw that smirk that seems to never be falling from his perfect face.
I stare at him wide eyed. This is going horribly. Screw Skyler for leaving me here alone to fend for myself.

"I- I didn't say umm what? If you heard something then it's probably your subconscious talking to you or like giving you some kinda reminder or something I wouldn't know, I haven't said anything." I string out completely exhausted by myself at this point.

I don't get to say anything else as I witness something I am pretty sure nobody in the history of time would've ever witnessed before.

Hayden's laughing. Like full on laughing.
The Hayden Knight is laughing. At me.

Hey God what's up? Now's the time you open up the ground an swallow me whole okay? okay.