A Risky Recoupling

Gemma P.O.V

For one girl, it's their last night here. I'm pretty sure I'm safe, but you never know what can happen in these recouplings. This time last week, I was so sure Brad and I would be together. But Chloe swept him straight up and now I'm happy sleeping next to Hugo. In a way, it was a blessing, but in a week, everything could change again.

"Can I chat with you?" Brad makes his way over to the daybed where Lucinda and I are gossiping. We've both dulled ourselves up tonight but I've tried to keep my makeup to a minimum. I've gone for a summery glowy look and paired it with a short yellow skater dress.

"I'll leave you both to it." I offer, getting ready to leave Brad and Lucinda for the last chat before the recoupling.

"Wait," Brad stops me. "I don't think you understand. I meant-,"

"He wants to chat with you." Lucinda sighs.

"Oh ... okay?"

Lucinda marches off towards the kitchen, refusing to give Brad a kiss or any sort of acknowledgement. Brad lays down on the bed, sitting beside me as we stare out into the sun setting over the fields.

"I wanted to come and chat with you. So much has changed in a week, hasn't it?"

"Yep."

"This time last week, you and I were solid."

"I know. It seems like years ago now, doesn't it?"

"It does, yeah. It's nice to see you and Hugo happy though. I was kinda wishing that you stayed as mates."

"We just clicked, to be honest."

"How are we now, though?"

"We're okay. You've been a bit of a dick recently though."

"Have I?"

Brad shoots me that cheeky smirk that I bet all the girls swoon over. It's a familiar look. One that I try and avoid because I know it'll draw me straight back in. He's like quicksand. You know it's bad, but once you get sucked in there's no way out.

"Why have you been acting weird then? You've made some pretty shit comments about me but then cooked me breakfast the other day. How do you feel about me?"

"You want the honest answer?" Brad asks, scanning around to see if anyone is looking at us.

"Yeah. I want honesty."

When I turn to look at Brad, we meet eyes. He studies my face, flicking his gaze from my eyes to my lips. I know exactly what's coming. I've thought about our night on the sofa over and over again.

As Brad's face moves closer to mine, I swerve and rest my forehead on his shoulder, giggling to break the awkward tension. I didn't think I'd ever be swerving a kiss from Brad.

"So ... Lucinda?"

"She's not you, is she?" Brad breathes. "No one compares to you."

My stomach is in flips. I didn't think that Brad wanted to be mates with me, let alone still have feelings.

"So if I pick you tonight, will you be mad?"

"... I think Hugo might rip your head off."

"That's true." Brad is still so close that I can hear his steady breathing and smell his strong aftershave. "But you do look amazing tonight."

Our conversation is interrupted by the text that we've all been anticipating. Hugo tells us all that it's time for the recoupling.

I and my girls line up in front of the firepit. Sharon stands to my left and Rachel to my right. It's much more nerve-wracking standing up in front of the boys, waiting for your fate to be decided. Hugo sends me a warming smile, whilst Brad's eyes are glued to the floor. I know I'm safe, but I don't know who is going to pick me.