Chapter 20 || The Accident

ANNABETH CHASE

"So you're not gonna talk to him?" Piper asked, pouring them some iced coffee while Annabeth bit into the donut.

"No," she shook her head, "He has to take the first step."

"Annabeth, you should know how he is."

"I only hung out with him for a month, Piper. I barely know who he is or what he's becoming," she muttered, yanking another bite out of the donut.

"Well, I think he could still use your help," Piper replied.

"And I tried to help him. Some people... you just can't help them."

Piper started to talk but Annabeth's phone rang. Leo. She picked it up.

"Leo, if this is about Percy, I really don't wanna--"

"Get to the penthouse now."

LEO VALDEZ

Leo was downstairs, preparing breakfast when he saw Percy at the top of the stairs, still deep in thought. He'd been like that since he and Annabeth had their huge fight. He groaned internally. Renee, Renee... Why'd you have to steal my best friend? Leo heard Percy's voice.

"Hey, Leo!" Percy called, "What's cooking?"

"Bacon, eggs, waffles. Really everything you can expect from the Leo," he said, trying to lighten everything with my humor.

It worked. Percy laughed, but as quickly as the laugh came, it disappeared.

"Hey, what are you gonna do about Annabeth?"

He froze and stared straight ahead.

"Percy?"

PERCY JACKSON

"Hey, what are you gonna do about Annabeth?"

Percy stiffened. He wasn't at the top of the stairs. He was with Annabeth at the fight, then he was with Renee in their fight. Then... Jackie. Jackie. Her face was shining in the moonlight and she was yelling. And pretty quickly, that's all he could see as the world disappeared.

"It's not my fault!" Jackie yelled.

Thanks, PTSD.

LEO VALDEZ

Percy continued to stare straight up ahead.

"Earth to Percy?" Leo called again.

Percy then tumbled down the stairs.

"PERCY!" he yelled, running to him.

He was at the bottom of the stairs, his leg bent at an awkward angle.

"JACKIE!" he yelled out in his sleep, hand slapping the air in front of Leo an inch away from his nose.

"Percy, you need to--" he was kicked in the stomach.

"RENEE!" Percy screamed.

"Percy, wake up! This isn't fun--" Another kick to the face.

"ANNABETH! ANNABETH!" he shouted. "Annabeth..." he whimpered before nothing happened.

Leo grabbed his phone, dialing the number.

"Leo, if this is about Percy, I really don't wanna--"

"Get to the penthouse now," he said urgently.

She ended the call, and faster than he'd expected, the doorbell rang. He opened the door and she and Piper walked in.

"Wha--" she stopped as she saw Percy laying at the bottom of the stairs. "Percy!"