chapter twelve

iwaizumi panted, hands behind his head as he catches his breath, knowing that bending over after anything athletic is bad for the respiratory system and posture.

"iwa-chan~ your jumps seemed to have a little more jump into it." oikawa teased, hoping that the events from yesterday were the cause of his motivation.

iwaizumi hummed, "yumie said she'd be here."

oikawa's smile quickly dropped, a deadpan expression on his face. iwaizumi didn't notice, too busy looking up in the spectator's view and attempting to find his girlfriend. he couldn't seem to find her, and his concentration was broken when he heard his team cheering.

"y/n-nee! did you see us play?!" oikawa immediately asked, going up to the girl and wrapping an arm around her shoulder.

y/n chuckled, a bit surprised when she walked through the doors into the gym. she noticed that the team also wondering the same question. she reciprocated oikawa's half hug as they approached the team, "hai! you all played very well, especially up against college students? you guys sure are something."

"thank you!" the team smiled happily, bowing to show their gratefulness.

"your blocks still need work, but we can surely get a few practices with that before inter high prelims," she added, looking more towards the first years, however, her reassurance made the freshmen feel a bit more relief.

the team broke off, the first and second years cleaning, while the third year started putting down the net. only oikawa and iwaizumi stayed next to y/n's side.

"l/n— er, y/n-san, have you seen yumie?" iwaizumi wondered, his focus back on the students leaving the gym.

"uragiri-san? uhm... i don't think so, but you're welcome to go and call her if you'd like." she offered, pointing towards the doors so he could have more privacy.

iwaizumi hummed, nodding after a few moments, "i will, thank you." he goes towards the club room to get his phone.

oikawa sighed, worried for his friends' relationship. y/n caught on and hummed to the older male, "you really don't like uragiri-san, do you tooru-nii?"

the setter nodded, "she's twisting our actions again and i don't know how to get him to see it."

y/n looked back at iwaizumi through the windows of the doors, seeing him worriedly call his girlfriend. "uragiri-san's lucky to have iwa-kun, maybe she just needs more time to realize that?"

oikawa shrugged, not knowing how to respond. "let's hurry and clean, y/n-chan."

y/n nodded, the worry in her eyes for the spikey haired boy never leaving.

"yumie, you haven't see our matches in over a month now, how do you just expect us to win?" iwaizumi questioned, hurt was in his tone as his girlfriend failed to show up to his match once more

"you can't really cancel a girls day, can you? it's like cancelling.. what even would make you understand... oh! it's like cancelling a volleyball match haji." the girl shot back, her voice going away and talking to someone. "yeah, that color will do. anyways, hajime i'm busy, call me back when you've stopped complaining. i assume you guys already won so shut up about it."

iwaizumi was about to shoot back, but the beeping from the phone made him stop and look at the screen. call ended. he groaned, turning towards the brick wall and softly hit his head against it.

"am i complaining? i mean, it's not her job to come to my games, and she has been busy." he thought to himself, once again overthinking the situation. he let out a groan, his head hurting from overthinking and from hitting it against the bricks.

"iwaizumi-kun?" he stopped, looking over to the owner of the voice.

"ah— hi, y/n-san, did you need anything?" he asked, embarrassed that she must've seen him in such a state.

"tooru-nii and the team are done cleaning, so we're going to go to the ramen and barbecue shop again. would you like to come with us?"

iwaizumi was about to deny the invitation, but he had no reason to. after a moment, he nodded, "uh— yeah, let me just get my stuff and then we can meet up at the front gates."

"alright, i'll tell the team that." she smiled softly. just before iwaizumi left, she called out once more, "uragiri-san really is lucky to have you. don't forget your own self worth, 'kay?"

the boy looked at her, surprised written on his face. he processed her words then smiled brightly, "i won't, y/n-san."

"