24 - Break

Trigger Warning: Self-harm (hair pulling)

- - -

Sitting on a bar stool beside Alex, we watched the guys struggle (excluding Dean) making food for the rest of the girls. Yesterday, we decided to make a bet against them on who cooks better, and with the only one who regularly cooks their own meal being Dean, we were sure we'd win.

"I said pass the fucking onion so why the fuck did you hand me an apple."

"Maybe you should be more clear with your instructions."

"Zayn..." Brandon took an exaggerated deep breath in, bracing his hands on the countertop with closed eyes. "Get out."

"What? Why! I'm a nice boy."

"Get out."

"But—"

Brandon didn't give him a chance to respond, shoving him out of the kitchen door. Dean and Alyan watched with amused expressions, Dean mixing something in a pot while Alyan was chopping vegetables off to the side. I still didn't have a clue on what they were making, though I did see chicken out so hopefully it wouldn't turn out too bad.

"So, after lunch what do you guys want to do?" I looked at the group, tucking some hair behind my ear.

"I was thinking we could hang around today. Maybe walk around and see what's left to do before we have to go home." Alyan responded, not looking up from his task. He seemed really concentrated on cutting and mincing, what should take a few minutes now expanding into 5.

"I really wanna go for a swim again. There's another beach a couple of miles away from here that I go to every time I come. It's secluded and nice, barely anyone goes because they prefer the beach here." Vanessa looks to us for approval and we nod.

"Okay, beach today and whatever the fuck we want tomorrow." Alex scrolls through her phone, not looking up as she speaks. "I can't believe we're here for only three more days."

"Right? These two weeks have gone by so fast."

I let Ayesha, Alex and Vanessa fall into a conversation about the remaining programs offered at the resort while I walked over to Dean, slipping my arms around his body as I peered at what he was doing from the side. He switches the mixing spoon from one hand to the other, his hand now free coming down to rest at the top of my head, nails scraping against my hair soothingly.

"When's the food gonna be done, pretty boy?"

"In ten to fifteen minutes. It depends how fast Alyan can cut all those vegetables."

"I'm trying my best, man. Sorry we all can't be professional chefs like you." Alyan sighed, struggling with chopping the onion Brandon had finally received. I glanced behind me to see Zayn smiling while he watched Ayesha talk animatedly, his arm splayed over the top of the couch.

"Here, let me." I gestured for him to hand me the knife and began showing him a technique that I learned.

"You hold it with the tips of your fingers, like this." I showed him my hand placement on the onion. "And then you chop making sure the knife stays on the board the whole time. Lifting it off completely is what's throwing you off."

I repeated it a couple of more times before handing the knife back to Alyan. His eyebrows furrowed, mirroring what I did and looking up to me for approval. Once I confirmed back, he nodded in a thanks and began to chop again.

I walked over to the sink to wash my hands once more, going back over to Dean after I was done.

"I'm bored, I wanna help."