Chapter 2

The echo of the door slamming bounced off the bare concrete and exposed steel of the parking garage. It resonated with finality. Or maybe it just seemed that way because I'd locked the keys inside...

Walking away, I reached the stairway and headed up. The subterranean parking garage had cameras everywhere and the area seemed relatively safe, so hopefully the car wouldn't get stolen.

Stolen again, you mean.

I reached the ground floor and stepped out onto the sidewalk. Disoriented, I glanced around and found the sign I was looking for – Metro station.

As I walked, the soft fabric of my new dress swirled around my legs, and the straps of the sandals dug into my feet.

It wasn't supposed to happen like this.

It was supposed to be Evan.

My heart throbbed when I thought of my sweet boy. Had he heard the news yet?

Sure, he was off in Wyoming with his Aunt and Uncle, but he still had ties to our pack.

I'd bought tickets out for his 18th birthday...

Somebody has to have told him.

Hot points of anger formed on my cheeks.

Damn them.

Ahead, I heard the melodic sounds of buskers and saw the floods of foot traffic.

Crossing the street, I headed for the escalators and hurried down. Keeping left, I scooted past the stationary riders and tried to ignore the very wet, fetid smells coming up from below.

Stepping off, I headed for the self-service kiosks and pulled out the folded stack of bills I'd stored in the peach lace bralette. The flimsy contraption wasn't great at holding my tits or my cash, but it was all that Jeannie had been able to find.

It's not your cash...

I frowned, pulling out the only fiver in the bunch and sliding it into the machine.

Let's call it asshole tax.

Seemed fair to me. You wanna take away my planned future? Then you pay up.

Eyeing the subway map, I calculated the cost of my fare. I wouldn't be going far.

Upstairs in the main hub station, I eyed the departures board. Chicago in fifteen minutes. Richmond in thirty. Burlington in forty-five.

Burlington...

I walked up to the counter, money in hand as a plan formed in my mind.

"Hi, I'd like a ticket to Burlington?"

I folded the ticket in my hand, looking around. Thirty minutes now. I tried to silence my fears, tried to convince myself that he couldn't possibly have tracked me this fast.

But I know a liar when I hear one.

Outside of the station, the city pressed close, and humans were everywhere. I mingled, buying a knockoff purse from a street vendor and trying to keep my senses high in case of pursuit. Across the street, my eyes fell on a mobile phone shop, and I walked toward it.

Fifteen minutes later, I walked back to the station, burner phone in hand.

"Amtrak is now boarding for Burlington at Gate A."

Breathing in, I willed myself calm. I walked through the crowds to my track and smiled at the porter, handing her my ticket.

She raised an eyebrow at my lack of luggage. "Traveling light?"

I chuckled, "Always."

She shrugged and let me pass through. I felt my face fall and made my way as far from the entrance as I could go.

Finding a window that let me look out into the station, I plugged the phone into the seat outlet and watched it light up as it began charging.

Lowering myself on legs that were starting to shake, I sat and felt my pulse speed up as my ears started to burn.

Any second now...

The minutes passed like kidney stones while my eyes were riveted on the glass. Finally, relief came over the loudspeakers when they announced, "Amtrak to Burlington has now boarded." With the door closed, I was safe.

Then he walked into view.

SHIT. Sliding down, I tried to hide below the window, but I couldn't help peeking my eyes over the edge.

He strode through the human crowds, flanked by his goons, taller than any man had a right to be...

I felt an unfortunate pulse at the apex of my thighs as I studied the stiff anger of his movements.

Oh, he is PISSED...

Why did that thought have me breathing harder?

I jerked to the right as the train slowly started to move. The station began to crawl past the window,

He can't get to you now. He can't.

But one thing was certain.

I wasn't going to make it to Burlington.

Not on this train.