Prologue

"Some of the greatest battles will be fought within the silent chambers of your own soul." - Ezra Taft Benson.

To the Elect Madeline

Mansion of The Brigid

Country of Lars in Aleria

Madeline:

You may not remember me, but I surely remember you. I was a servant of Joseph for many centuries, but that changed on the night he attacked you. 

I'm sorry it took so long to get this letter to you. My investigations came too late for me to get in contact with you on Earth. It took some convincing, but Mike told me he could get this letter to you. I hope it's not too bloody to read after he gave it to you.

I'm writing this because I feel grateful to you. It is good to have my freewill once more. Because of my gratitude, I must tell you something difficult about Luis and his part in your attack by Joseph. I had many complications on the way to becoming the vampire queen, and I'm afraid that this delayed me.

Below is the entire recollection.

******

Four years ago

After five hundred years of service to the one you call Joseph, I, Simone Fontaine, found my awareness. Joseph stumbled into the abandoned rave club we used as our home with a grave injury. I'd never seen him so weak, so depleted. He killed five of us in an attempt to recover, but it was to no avail. He was still maimed and desiccated. 

As I grieved over the loss of my friends, a black demon dog appeared and tried to slice Joseph into ribbons!

"Luis!" Joseph said as he twisted out of the way of the dog's claws. "What do you think you're doing?? How dare you attack your Lord!"

The dog turned into a darkly handsome boy. His eyes glowed an eerie red as he snarled at Joseph and said, "You are not my Lord! Not any longer! I have lived on the Earth for too long for your pull to control me!

Joseph stalked forward and swung at Luis, who ducked the blow. "You were born in the underworld and summoned to freedom, stupid cur! I am still your king!"

"All of the dark Fae struggle against hold. You are losing."

Luis's return strike against Joseph hit, leaving four red gouges on Joseph's side. He roared and threw a bolt of dark lightning at Luis.

The lightning singed the club's back wall and set a chair on fire. One of the vampire men took his coat and batted it out. While Joseph panted from the exertion, he said, "Are you truly trying to kill me and go back on our little deal?"

Luis pointed at him. "Attacking Matt wasn't part of the deal. I warned you to stay away from her. "

Joseph snorted with laughter, "You can't be serious. Have you fallen for the little half-bred mutt?" He was cradling his hand, which was still withered.

Luis's eyes narrowed, "Of course not. But I won't stand by and let you ruin her."

Joseph's eyes narrowed. "Ruin her..." He winced as he clutched his bloody side. "I was trying to give her such a wonderful gift..."

Luis leaned forward with a snarl. "An act you won't repeat, even if I have to kill you for it."

Joseph looked at Luis as if he had turned into a clown, then sputtered with derisive laughter. "You should not make threats you can't make good on, boy. But you must hold up your end of the deal and get her to Aleria. I have to go back and manage those dark faes before they rebel.