chapter six

·         I just couldn't help myself, I socked him in the arm. Clearly not as hard as I would've preferred because he burst out laughing. What a jerk. Ugh. Yet I couldn't say I was mad and his laugh was infectious. Soon we were sitting there like little giggling girls. There was a knock on my door and we both jumped which brought on another round of giggles. I straightened out my wool sweater and smoothed my leggings into my boots before answering. Was I expecting anyone today? No, I couldn't remember. I swung the door open turning to grab my coffee off the counter. I took a swig then turned to see forest green eyes staring back at me. I wish I didn't have to admit this but I actually spit my coffee all over my surprise visitor. This was kind of funny. Just a little. Harry's face turned to a flat line as he wiped coffee from his jacket. "Is this how you greet everyone?" His voice was low and familiar like an old blanket. I forced back a flush and responded as evenly as possible. How long had I waited for this day? The day he'd realize he was wrong. Oh the witty things I thought I'd say and the dramatic slam the door in the face scene. That all washed away now, I was lost.

"Ummm, what're you doing here.." "Can I at least get a towel first." "Oh..right..come sit down I guess.." I rushed into the other room pulling open cabinets. I'd lived here for three years now all the sudden I can't find my damn towels. I opened a closet and a mound of books and what not came crashing down on me. Cursing loudly I started to pick everything up but two pairs of hands came down on a basket I was reaching for. Glancing up I saw Harry and Louis, of course they would've heard my little avalanche. Louis was giving Harry a strange expression I couldn't understand so I dismissed it. They got everything back up in the closet before I could lift a finger so I turned and went back to looking for my towels without saying a word, eventually I found them, in my bathroom, who would've thought. I came back into the living room tossing the towel at Harry and plopping down beside Louis. Harry gave me a questioning glance. Oh."This is my friend Louis." I think I accidentally emphasized friend too much because I could feel Louis flinch beside me. "Nice to meet you," was all his reply. A silence passed and Louis suddenly jumped up. "I have to go, I have something," he said it without glancing back at us nearly running out the door. I wondered what his problem was. "So why’re you here," my voice had no emotion because I couldn't decide whether to be mad or happy. "Look I'm sorry," he paused but I wasn't interrupting, I'd waited too long, “seeing you the other day, it made me realize what I was missing, you of course, and I was wondering if you know..." He trailed off eyeing the grains in the wood flooring. I didn't know what to say. "It took you nearly two years. Really? I mean really? Obviously I skipped out of your mind long enough for you not to care what happened to me," I didn't know where the anger came from but it felt good to release it. "I know," he didn't fight me which sucked all the hot air from my brain. "I think we could try," my voice was softer this time, like I meant it. And I think I did. His smile was as brilliant as the memories. He pulled my from the couch into his lap like he used to, holding me, I let myself relax sinking into him. It felt right too me, but at the same time I felt guilt, for what, I didn't know. It was all a mystery to me.