Teaser Chapter

Rory found out a few days later that he was to be initiated into the Sixth Victorious Legion of the Holy Roman Empire. His intitiation was set for 5th July, which was also some sort of Roman holy day, called Poplifugia. He expected the Centurion Primus and a few guards to march down his stairs, blow the trumpets, and make a short speech, and maybe tap him on the shoulders with a sword, like in a knighting. He didn't expect - well, he didn't expect almost anything that actually happened.

To begin with, the Romans marched down his stairs at the crack of dawn. Light hadn't even reached into the Pandorica's cavern when he heard the tramp of boots marching in formation. This didn't bother him because he couldn't sleep, but he had been surprised, and he hurried to straighten his belt, jam his helmet on his head, and pull his sword from it's sheath.

When the first Roman sandals started the descent, Rory was unsurprised to see they were attached to the Head Centurion. He was surprised that there were sixteen additional soldiers marching two-by-two behind the Centurion. They fanned out along the walls as they entered, facing inward at Rory and the Pandorica.

"Ave, Centurian Roranicus, guard of Jupiter and son of Rome!" the Centurian Primus announced grandly.

Rory felt like correcting him by saying he wasn't actually from Rome, but decided that wouldn't be wise, under the circumstances. He settled for a simple, "Ave," and sheathed his sword.

"For twenty years you have guarded this site, while your legion has long since departed this world. But today we claim you for Cohort 4 of the Sixth Victorious Legion of Rome. You have exceeded the call of duty in the perfect manner of a Roman officer, and you will be rewarded for it." He gestured with one hand for Rory to step forward. In his other hand he held a small bronze pin, which he gave to Rory very cermemoniously. Rory bowed in response, and pinned it to part of his cape, above his Centurion's badge. He didn't know what it was, exactly, but he assumed it was some kind of promotion.

The Head Centurion nodded to one of his men, and four legionairres march up and out of the room. "If you would permit us, Centurion, plans have been arranged to move your charge out of this cavern and into the open. It will be gaurded by the entire Legion, and serve as a constant reminder to the soldiers about the true meaning of their loyalty to Rome."

"Er, well, I'm not sure about that, exactly-" Rory tried to say, but there were already Roman soldiers coming down the stairs, carrying logs. They placed them end to end in two rows on the stairs, making a ramp.

"Please, Centurion, step out of the way." The Centurion Primus gestured to the legionnaires behind the Pandorica to start pushing. Rory drew his sword.

"I can't let you do that," he said, his voice steady. "The box stays here."

"A few days ago you seemed ready to bring it with us to Rome," the Centurion reminded him.

"Oh, are you going back to Rome already?" Rory asked, sounding half surprised and half challenging.

"No."

"Then NOBODY. TOUCH IT," Rory said fiercely.

The Head Centurion regarded him warily. He lifted one hand - a sign to his men to stand down - and then said, "We will leave you to your charge, Centurion." He turned on his heel and strode out, followed by his men, who each picked up a log as they went. Rory breathed a sigh of relief. He paced circles around the Pandorica, examining for any damage the soldiers had done. He found that some scrap metal off the floor was missing, but other than that nothing had changed.

The next time he saw Avillius he asked him what that was all about.

"I believe the Centurion was hoping to put you and your charge on display, for when the higher forces visit here later," Avillius said.

"He could have asked," Rory grumbled.

"Would you have agreed?"

"No. But I didn't let them take her either, so asking would have saved them the trouble."

"Our commander is nothing if not determined."

The Romans were there for almost three years. In that time, the camp moved at least twenty times, but never far from Stonehenge. The place became well known to the soldiers as a place to spend time off, drinking or sword fighting amidst the stone slabs. The cavern underneath it became well known, too, although less visited. The legionnaires were always wary of Centurion Roranicus, guard of the gods. But every now and then, drunk soldiers stumbled down the stairs to explore, calling out loudly to Rory that they'd "buy the big box for a million denarii aurea." Other times, more polite soldiers wandered down, truly curious about the Centurion, his box, and the strange rubbish in his cavern, and would be rewarded by an hour or two of swapping stories with Centurion Roranicus. Slowly, cyber men heads and bits of Daleks went missing, and Rory gained a few more friendships among the legion, although Avillius remained the only one truly in his confidence.

It was of course Avillius who told Rory the legion would soon be making the journey home to Rome.