UnPretty - Chapter 4

A Week Later

Kenan originally hoped that by pretending to obey his parents in marrying Gisa, he could buy himself more time to get the woman he really wanted. His plan was to allow them to continue financing his music education until they released his sizable trust fund. Once he received his trust fund, he would establish his own recording studio and record label. He would also divorce Gisa and marry Peaches.

Everything had changed. None of those plans worked out the way Kenan wanted. Not one.

His parents released his trust fund earlier than expected. On the day of his wedding, in fact. They presented the documents to him at the reception. His mother patted him on the head like he was still a child and the gold envelope was some type of lollipop reward for being obedient. Now he was a wealthy man in his own right and could pay for his own education and new life.

What new life? Kenan scoffed as his shaky hands struggled with the black tie he selected for Peaches' funeral. There is no new life without her.

To steady his hands, he balled them into fists and squeezed tightly. The sapphire stones on each side of his class ring ate into the fingers next to them. He didn't care. He deserved more pain than that.

A lovesick moan bubbled up deep from Kenan's soul at the harsh reality that he would never see Peaches' sweet mocha face, amber eyes, or beautiful smile again. Nor hear her angelic voice. Not to mention those wonderful dimples that used to show up in simple actions like chewing gum and drinking her favorite herbal tea.

Yes, Kenan could see and hear all of those things on the multitude of tapes and videos they created together, but never again in person. Never again up close and personal.

In Peaches, Kenan found unconditional love and true partnership, which was something he never saw in his parents' relationship or ever had with Gisa. Although Kelvin Kinchlow was a great businessman, he allowed Adaeze to lead him around by the nose and use guilt as a weapon against him and Kenan.

A different kind of guilt attacked Kenan now, washing over him like a tidal wave. Overwhelming him. The guilt of abandoning the woman he loved and their child, and then possibly contributing indirectly to their untimely deaths. He couldn't surf in these forceful waters. They sent him deeper into depression than his grief and made it harder to breathe.

The fact that Kenan hadn't known about the baby did little to lessen his guilt. Thus paying for Peaches' funeral was the least he could do. More importantly, it was the right thing to do. To honor Peaches in style, yes. But to also take the financial burden off Flora's shoulders since she couldn't afford to keep up their life insurance premiums, which meant there was no policy to fall back on in her time of need.

The child's body would not be memorialized today. It had been given to science, along with several of Peaches' organs. She'd always been an avid supporter of organ donation, which was why they sang at many community sponsored organ donation drives together.

I pray whoever received her organs enjoys the new life she has given them. Kenan took a deep shuddering breath and returned steadier hands to his tie. The funeral would start in thirty minutes and he refused to be late for Peaches' final curtain.

* * *

Dr. Tesch sat in the very back of the flower-laden cathedral styled church, watching Peaches' family, friends, and associates express their grief in different ways. Some talked about how well-liked she was, about her good heart, and how she was always willing to help others. They all talked about her talent. A well-dressed mahogany-skinned man even played some of her original songs for them all to enjoy.

Dr. Tesch felt his eyes water when he saw a video of a teenage Peaches practically glowing as she sang a rousing rendition of Walter Hawkins' Going up Yonder while leading her school choir, thereby allowing her to sing at her own funeral. Many around him did cry. Some bawled.

One of the main bawlers was Flora Solace. She was promptly held by the mahogany-skinned young man in the expensive black suit. He and Peaches' mother shared a knowing look as if they recognized the guilt in each other. They cried together on the front row for a while.

I wonder if that's the father of her child, Dr. Tesch thought as the same young man stood up, walked over to the gold trimmed casket, and slipped a sapphire laden ring upon Peaches' still hand – exactly where a wedding ring would have gone.

That's got to be him, Dr. Tesch surmised as he watched the man mouth 'Rest in peace, baby' before walking stiffly to his seat. His face looked wreaked with guilt.

Lord, forgive us all, Dr. Tesch prayed, empathizing with the guilty parties as a lone tear slid down his left cheek.

In the distance a rumble of thunder could be heard. Another spring storm was approaching. Soon the sky would once again shed its own set of tears.

Dr. Tesch sighed. Rainy days no longer appealed to him. Now he dreaded them. He also craved nicotine more than he ever had before.

Author note: To find out what happened with Phoebe, click this link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NH2SLPS