Masoom

The joyous laughter of cheerful children were echoing as they were running and playing happily outside while she was singing a song in her childish voice which she heard from somewhere and cleaning the dirty utensils from her small hands totally losing herself in her chore. Still, sometimes she also wanted to play. But how could she when she had so much of the work? Memshaab would scold her if she didn’t do the work properly and beat her as well.

She was so scared from Memshaab’s anger, so she could not go out to play. But, still sometimes when no one was looking she used to quickly got up from her place. And silently tip- toed to the window and looked outside to the beaming faces of giggling children.

And used to smile wondering how fun it would be for them, Wouldn’t it? But as soon as she heard footsteps of someone’s coming she quickly went back to her place in fear. And used to lower her gaze so that no one could know she was looking through the window pane before they came into the kitchen.

8 Years was her age. It seemed like she was a child, well she was, but she didn’t have any childhood for real. Her whole day went doing work for Memshaab. Sometimes, when she used to make some mistakes she had to have a tight slap on her cheeks but that was totally fine.

Because her mother was ill and she had a brother as well who was of 2 years and her father, well he left them on their own for another woman. Her mother was illiterate and also very sick so she couldn’t do the work.

Therefore the whole household responsibility was on that small 8 year old life named Masoom. And it was not something new for Masoom. She was doing it from the age of 6. Once when she was 6 she was unable to hold the hot cup from her small hands and spilled it all over on her. She still had those burnt marks.
But now at least she could do the work properly.

The path to Mehmsaab’ s house from her house had a school in between. She didn’t like to take that path. Didn’t know why she felt sad using that path? So, she used to avoid that path and took long path instead.  Still, her fate bumped her to the children clad in uniform of that school but she used to ignore and just kept her focus on her work.

But her life took a turn one day. It was like a normal day the same things were happening. She was busy in her work. When Bade shaab came and rang the bell. Bade shaab was Memshaab’s husband. “Masoom, go open the door.” Memshaab ordered. Masoom cleaned her hands and went to the door standing on her toes for reaching the door knob opening the door.

Bade shaab smiled, he had something in his hands. It was a big cage and the cage had two beautiful parrots in it. Masoom’s little eyes got widened in wonder.

Her dried lips had a cute smile. “Masoom, call your Memshaab.” Bade shaab ordered. Masoom ran to her Memshaab and she came outside. Memshaab, had her hands on her cheeks in excitement, “Wow, what is this? They are wonderful.” She said with pure bliss.
Bade shaab smiled proudly and said, “These parrots aren’t some ordinary parrots. These are very expensive. Each is of 4000 rupees. But I bring them for your love of birds. Now, take care of them properly.” Memshaab grinned broadly and said, “Oh! Thank you so much, my dear hubby. I will take care of them properly and won’t let them fly.” Then she looked at Masoom and said, “Masoom help me take them to the kitchen. I will hang them there.

So, everyone can see our expensive parrots. And also any cat won’t come there. So, there are better there.” Masoom nodded and helped her taking the parrots there. The parrot cage was hanged near the window. And now, Masoom had two new friends. She even gave them names. Male one was named Khwaab and female one was named Khwaaish.

She was in love with those parrots. Everyday, even at home she used to talk about them. She used to think like she got new friends. She used to talk with the two of them. “Amma said parrots can talk, Khwaab and Khwaish. One day you two will talk with me too.” She said smiling from below while peeling the vegetables but suddenly she saw Khwaab and Khwaish getting uncomfortable. They were banging at the cage violently, flapping their wings. She quickly got up and questioned, “What happened Khwaab and Khwaish? Why are you behaving like this?” But the birds were busy violently shaking the cage in the direction of window.