Chapter 7

Hirokazu

"Hirokazu, it was voted earlier on today that you will participate in the Sword Trails like any other fifteen year old would do." Councillor Jeung said this with such vanity that I knew there would be more in it for them than for me.

"And why are you telling me that now? I'm not fifteen yet." I said this, not even thinking about it. Why on earth would he tell me this unless I was participating—I figured it out just as he said it.

"Because the whole Council reassured the public that you were such a worthy Prince of his people would be able to finish the Sword Trials at such an early age..." He trailed off and his point was already made.

I looked back at Jae for support, she shrugged and death-stared Councillor Jeung. He ignored this childish gesture and stared behind me, falling into a bow. I didn't have to look to know it was my mother. She entered the room quietly, while everyone, including me, bowed before her. She sat on a nearby chair and stared at me. I couldn't not look at her, the presence she held was captivating, and her golden gaze reflected my own.

Once the servants had left the room, Jae stood silently behind me, her hands clasped tightly in front of her, and Councillor Jeung had fixed his features, I then asked the question burning on my tongue.

"Did you know Mother?" I asked, keeping my hands behind my back. Both clenched into fists. I wouldn't know what I'd do if she lied. I could tell. Her eyes were my eyes, I knew the symptoms.

"Yes, I knew, I was apart of that meeting."

I blinked and watched her warily. This was the time for someone else to step in, to say that this was either a test of character (again) or they apologised for the inconvenience of the timing and the secrecy. "Mother I—"

"I voted against this, all my Council members voted against me. Your father not being there to support my judgement." Mother shifted her gaze from my face and to the gold band embedded with on her left ring finger. Salty tears rimmed her gold eyes.

Father left to lead majority of our armies to battle with a threatening nearby land. He left three months ago and had been writing letters to us, me and Mother. But, not too long ago—maybe a week—he stopped writing. Everyone told her that it was probably because they'd finally arrived at their destination and were preparing themselves for ambushes, attacking bases, and what-not. But Mother was still distraught, she loved Father, and I could see that she couldn't bare to not hear from him. Mere pieces of dirt stained paper was all she had left of him. It was sickening to watch her grow so sad and melancholy.

"Your Highness, if I may?" Councillor Jeung gestured to me, Mother stared for a moment longer at the ring and then looked up, nodding, the ever-burning flame in her eyes brighter than before. I wasn't allowed to stay any longer.