Tortured Truth [PART 1]

[Itachi]

“Gomenasai,” I pressed a fleeting kiss on Etsuko’s shoulder.

She was fast asleep, dead to the world. The bond we shared last night took us one step closer to finalising our love, and we did. But I would have to break everything I tried too hard to keep intact because of Sasuke. I knew Etsuko would hate me for it, she would happily watch my brother die, but she didn’t understand―that was the only divide between us, she was alone by choice, I was alone because I couldn’t trust myself around others.

I draped her fallen Akatsuki cloak around her bare shoulders, creamy skin that now held purple indents from my fingerprints. I was gentle as possible, we both were, however together we knew that two dying bodies couldn’t prevent blemish.

My fingers traced the circle of the Sarutobi Mon at the base of her neck, the branding performed by Hiruzen as a warning more to me than her―he wanted me to keep her safe, that was his final will even though Etsuko and I weren’t there to hear it.

I closed my eyes and pressed the back of my hand to my forehead. I sat myself back down on the end of the bed, pondering. I was selfish, a bastard, remorseless, but I had no choice. It wouldn’t make a difference I did survive and live on to rebuild the Uchiha; I was never built for that despite what my father wished―he knew I was weaker of the mind than the body.

Sasuke on the other hand was strong willed yet arrogant, and that arrogance would become his worst enemy, but I had faith, a trust that he wouldn’t allow the Uchiha to burn amongst the smouldering ashes which I’d set alight. He was strong of the mind and body because of his hatred, the factor which Etsuko was afraid of him obtaining.

I held Sasuke by the hand as I guided him down the main stretch of the compound. His small hand clenched around mine when we entered back into the bustle of the village, he was afraid of the heartless eyes that stared at us, jealous of the name Uchiha. I gave him a confident smile and tugged him along.

“Where are we going Nii–San?” Sasuke asked wearily.

“Exploring,” I replied.

Through the back alley, we came to a stop in front of the second branch living quarters. The outside was dark grey and rust stains peppered the sides of the building from neglect. Garbage and discarded weapons littered the entry way and a dull throb of music or shouting echoed down onto the street below.

“I’ve had enough of this rebellion talk, if Lord Fugaku caught you, we’d be disgraced!” screamed a woman.

The outburst was followed by a tumble of a corpse down the stairs. A girl my age was thrown head-over-heels until she crumpled into a quivering heap into the doorway. Her face was scratched and she stood with a slight gait to her left leg, as if it were in the process of healing from a break or fracture.

“B–but Okasan!” she whimpered.

The mother showed her face, her right hand swelling from the blows she gave her child. The woman clenched her fist and held it up again, causing the girl to flinch and scurry back. The woman was of some noble status from the fineness of her robe, but the rest of her remained plain, no-doubt a second-branch member begging to be brought up to the main household, she spat at her child.

“No, you have gone too fa, you have doomed this entire household,” the woman continued with a final smack. “Be gone you cursed creature, you are no daughter of mine!”

The girl took a shaky step backward, stumbling and bumping into my shoulder. Sasuke cowered behind me, hugging onto my legs as I reached out to steady her. The girl was quick and batted my hand away harshly, since I was already off balance with Sasuke gripping me tight, I toppled over my brother onto the ground.