Emma

As I walked into the main building on campus, I felt a heavy weight on my chest. What would Mary think of the lipstick? I had to come up with a good cover story. That meant I had to avoid her until lunch, when I usually picked her up.

"Jake!" I heard a voice call over the bustle of all the college students talking and walking their way around. I quickly glanced to my right, and saw Mary heading towards me. She looked completely fine, like she hadn't seen anything in my car. I sighed, relieved. That meant I didn't need to come up with a cover story.

"Where do you want to go to lunch today? Deven and Caroline are joining us," she told me, smiling. She looked really good for a Friday. Too good. So that little hope I had clutched onto, that she hadn't seen the lipstick was gone.

"I was thinking about the classy choice of McDonalds," I said smiling at her nervously.

"Hmm, wonderful decision Mr.Wate," she said, while waving bye. As she walked to her next class, I snapped my head to get to my class.

The day passed by in a blur, like every time it did when I was dreading something. Soon enough it was lunchtime.

Mary grabbed my hand, and led me to my car, as I had just come from a very challenging dance class. I was still breathing hard.

"Come on," she whined, as I was walking so slow that I was dragging her back. I didn't want to get back to my car. Then we would truly be alone. I wasn't ready for that. The wind blew her golden brown hair and her light blue dress all over. I succumbed to her and let her weave me through the crowds. Soon, too soon, we were in front of my car.

I felt her hands go through my pockets, and I tensed up, but I just felt her hand clasp around my car keys. I sighed in relief, wondering why I felt so uncomfortable around her. She pressed the unlock button and got in. I crossed the other side of the car and got in. She dropped the keys into my open palm, and I slipped it in the ignition. Then out of nowhere she tugged on my shirt, and when I turned to face her she pressed her lips against mine.

At first she seemed hesitant, but then she quickly deepened the kiss, which made me tingle from head to toe. It made me feel guilty for even looking at another girl.

I pulled away, and looked at her, my eyes holding confusion. I was pretty sure she had seen Emma's lipstick. Why would she be kissing me even more now then before?

"You love me, right?" she asked me, her eyes soft and pleading. The only thing keeping me from telling her about Emma or Janie was how I would lose her if I did.

"Of course," I said smiling at her, which I was returned with a small shy smile. Then she turned away as I started to pull out of our parking spot. I saw Caroline's car right behind us, so I drove into the busy streets of Florida.

We stopped at the first McDonald's we saw, by the gas station. I slid my car into one of the open spots. Caroline's pink Mini Cooper slid into the spot next to mine.

"Be careful not to scratch my ride!" I yelled at Caroline.

"Oh, honey, I wouldn't even if you let me. I still don't get how a guy like you got a car like that," she said, sarcastically.

"Working hard, and a rich daddy," I told her rolling my eyes. I got out of the car, but I saw Mary still sitting in her seat. I walked over to her side and opened her door.

"What's wrong?" I asked her as she looked up at me.

"No-nothing," she stuttered again like she did yesterday. But as I she started to get out, I picked her up, bridal style, and brought her inside the McDonald's. Caroline closed Mary's door and walked behind me with Deven. Once we were inside I placed Mary in a booth and went to order the food.