Chapter 5

Lena

Maximus

I stayed there watching her run away from me like I had the plague.

What just happened?

I honestly felt foolish, for even offering to take her home. It was a decent thing to do, but she refused again.

I think I even saw her eyes water, but she left me no time to react. I stayed there with my eyes wide open, in some sort of shock. What just happened I wondered for the hundredth time.

That drunk asshole apologized to me first, as if the ball hit me instead of her. Who does that? It was obviously an accident, but his attitude really pissed me off. He couldn't even stand on two feet, let alone play with a ball in open space.

Damn that ball hit her hard.

Lena seemed so angry and yet said nothing, did nothing at all. She didn't even demand a new phone as she should. She just stayed there motionless. What was wrong with her?

She was clearly in pain, but she said she was fine, as she froze there and then ran away. She was gone in seconds. So weird.

I have never had a woman run away from me like that, which also pissed me off.

Nevertheless, her ass looked great from that angle.

I quickly drove back home after she ran away. There was no point in wandering around the park alone or even running behind her to check up on her. My good mood was just gone.

Once home, I tossed my keys on the kitchen counter and poured myself a glass of water.

For the life of me, I couldn't stop thinking about Lena's bruises on her neck and those marks on her wrist. I got worried a bit, even though I barely knew her.

She didn't have those bruises when we first met outside the gym or at the coffee shop. And she came to the park clearly distressed and lied to my face...which I didn't like regardless.

I walked to my bedroom and quickly tossed my clothes on the bed, while my mind was still fixated on her. I couldn't stop thinking that she might be trapped in some sort of abusive relationship. People get very defensive over that and most of the time they don't want to talk about it.

But what could I possibly do at this point?

I did ask, I did try to help, but if she didn't want to share, unfortunately, that's on her. She chose to run.

I hoped in the shower to clear my head. I wasn't responsible for her, I kept telling myself.

A few hours passed, and I was still thinking about her. I struggled to keep my hands away from my phone to avoid sending her a text. What was I supposed to say?

Did you go home alright?

Are you alright?

Is everything ok?

Do you need any help?

Why did you run away like that?

I would sound like her mother, and it was the least I wanted to do. I only agreed to help her with her cover, because she was hot... and there was something I liked about her. Her facial expressions and how she talked, probably were that something.

My phone buzzed in my hand and brought my thoughts back to reality. I knew what it was before I even looked at it.

The drunk guy from the park already made the money transfer for Lena's new phone, as we agreed. Even though he seemed like he was about to throw up from all the alcohol he consumed, he agreed to pay for her phone in no time. Who gets wasted like that in a park?