1. The Pogues

╔═══════════════╗
Chapter One
╚═══════════════╝

"Every man can transform the world from one of monotony and drabness to one of excitement and adventure."

-Irving Wallace

On a day where the skies adorn a blanket of heavenly warmth and the air tastes like salted pepper, a group of five friends gathered in an unlikely, but rather charmingly characterised, hangout

On a day where the skies adorn a blanket of heavenly warmth and the air tastes like salted pepper, a group of five friends gathered in an unlikely, but rather charmingly characterised, hangout. The Kook Ville Art Projects, as the pogues liked to call them. That is, the unfinished mansions that the richer side of the Island decided to build over an old turtle habitat. It was a tragic occurrence that allowed the pogues to grant themselves free access into the estate in order to gain some compensation for the ignorance of those who lived on Figure Eight. Therefore, with one wandering in the interior of the half-heartedly constructed building and one skidding along the roof, the three remaining friends were situated on the oak wood decking that accentuated the rear area of the house.

Much to their well-wishing and precisely calculated agenda, the sun was positioned perfectly in the sky; shining down on them as though being hit with a spotlight. It was peaceful, a kind of quiet that only comes with the summer months and days. A quiet that harmonised with the natural and eloquent strum of the Brazilian Rosewood acoustic guitar that was played by Cordelia Alcott, the mother of the group. With hair that matched the sun-kissed sandy beaches of North Carolina, she was well known throughout Outer Banks. However, whilst it would be presumed that her beauty and kindness would make the girl desirable, it was actually her troublesome nature that made her notorious.

Similar to her male counterpart, JJ Maybank, Cordelia was a town favourite according to the criminal justice system. Having been arrested for petty theft and vandalism, the Kildare County Police Department had many run-ins with the blonde. However, despite her many minor transgressions, her punishments only consisted of community service; a decision made by Sheriff Peterkin as she took into consideration Cordelia's home situation. She also argued that the girl was a straight A student in the local community school and so deserved some recognition for her efforts.

As she continued to strum her guitar, Cordelia opened a black leather-bound notebook and began jotting down music notes and chords. She was a budding musician, a fact known and loved by many. Herself and Kiara, another Pogue; the exact one who had just wondered out of the half-built house, would often times write songs together and sing duets around campfires with their friends.

"New song idea?" Pope, the Einstein of the group, spoke up from beside her as he set down his beer. He had been watching the girl along with JJ, who set on the opposite side with a cooler filled with drinks. They were fascinated by how quickly she was able to create a song from simply strumming a random pattern on her guitar. Nodding, she smiled up at him and gestured for him to come closer.