Ch. 29: Partnership (Brett)

"Wow," I said into the phone. "What a day it was."

"I know," Luke said on the other end. "I really thought you weren't going to make it. That quarterback who came in looks to be something special. You think Coach Robinson might start him for the playoffs."

"I wish, but Todd has been a big part of the success and more than likely, he's going to get the start. We definitely need him against the Chargers."

"Well, whatever happens, I think this has definitely saved your job."

"It has and I can't believe how the perception of me has changed over the season. To think I started the year down and viewed as a bad general manager and suddenly, people are giving me praise."

"Well, that's what happens when the product you put on the field delivers and gives you wins. You become a brilliant general manager in the eyes of the public."

"Like you?"

"Now, now," I heard Luke say with a chuckle. "We've had a great season, but I wouldn't say I'm the biggest reason why we are in the position we're in at this point."

"Well, we both made the playoffs," I replied. "So, we could be on a collision course for the Super Bowl."

While my Texans were going through the ups and downs of a year that saw us get to the playoffs when experts predicted us to finish last, Luke and his Cowboys had no trouble making the playoffs on their side. They won their division with a 13-4 record and would have homefield up to the NFC Championship game if they got there. I had thought about the possibility of me and Luke going against each other in the Super Bowl, but brushed that aside. That seemed to be very unlikely and we weren't sure if that was ever going to be the case since we both had to get there.

"Still, my offer for you being an assistant of mine is an option," Luke said.

"Why Luke," I answered in a flirty way. "Do I believe that is the sign of a proposal?"

"Maybe," he said. "But, I don't have a ring with me."

"A Super Bowl ring or an engagement ring?"

"My god, you really must be in love with me."

"Oh, you know me so well."

Just then, I heard a beeper on the other line.

"Oh, that's my pager. I think I'm needed for a meeting regarding playoff seats."

"But, I thought you were sitting in the suite."

"I am, but we have plenty of celebrity guests coming to the game. I believe some of the cast members of Game of Thrones will be coming. Did you know, I got Kit Harrington's autograph when he was here?"

"Really? I didn't know that."

"Well, I love to explain more, but this meeting is important to me. I'll call you later sweetie."

Before I could get the words "I love you" in, he hung up on me. How rude! But, I figured he was busy and had a meeting to take place. Talk about being jealous of celebrities at the game. We hardly had celebrities at our games and for good reason. We were terrible. What famous person wanted to be around a terrible team?

That, however was another one of my goals. I wanted to make the franchise not only into winners, but also one that people can identify with. In this day in age, we live in a world where being famous and having a brand is a lot for people to strive for and achieve when in reality, a lot of people will not be able to do so. Because of my situation with being a female general manager, I thought I would be able to be some sort of inspiration to the world in showing that people can achieve when overcoming barriers.