Prologue

Glistening orange-colored lanterns are up above the moonless sky. The hymns of different types of instruments overwhelmed the whole Village as the ceremony approached. Despite its upbringing enjoyment and happiness. Here I am looking at the same scenery but hiding from their eyes.

I feel fear and worry as I gaze once more at my home, but the courage I have mustered long surpasses it. I know it is a sin I can no longer correct. I simply desire to see the world, the outside world I haven't even glimpsed since childhood. It was denied to me, even though I understood that it was for my protection.

"Are you sure about this, my lady?" I turned around and looked at him.

 He was dressed in a brown cloak that concealed his impressive figure, and a triangular hat that served as a veil for his face. He stood beside one of the carriages that would take us to the capital. I didn't expect him to accompany me on this escape or assist me in my getaway

"I've made up my mind..."

"The world isn't easy if that's what you think," he said, reminding me again.

I nodded at him. "I know..."

"You can still change your mind—" I cut his words.

"I'm sure about this," my decision is firm. "You're the one who made me do this after all." Sometimes, he's strange. He was the first person to cloud my mind with his words.

He chuckled, and then he patted my head. Annoyed, I brushed his hand away. His lips curled even more due to my action. I don't know why I chose to trust this man. He is infuriating. I halted my train of thought as soon as he touched my chin, lifting it slowly, and aligning it with his face. I widened my eyes in response to what he did.

"You're good to be teased," he said amusingly.

I bit my lip. Mabilis kong hinawi ang kamay niya, ganun pa rin ang ngisi niya. Bahagya akong tumalikod. Pakiramdam ko kasi namalat ang lalamunan ko at namamaso ang pisngi ko. My heart also throbbed fast.

It's because I'm annoyed, right?

Natigilan lang ako ng marinig ko ang kaluskos sa likod. He's already inside one of the carriages.

"Let's go, Allaya." I nodded.

I look up at the sky with many lanterns above.

"Patawad, ama," I weakly said, tears already forming in my eyes.

I hope that my father will forgive me for desiring to venture beyond the grounds. Donning a man's robe and assuming a disguise was challenging, but it was the only means by which I could escape. To experience freedom. I adjusted my hat and mask, concealing my identity. With another sigh and a boost of self-encouragement, I stepped inside one of the carriages that would take me—with him—to a new place, to adventures, unfamiliar faces, and quite possibly, a different life.