Ogres' Land

When Alethea went to dinner, she knew James told her he needed to rest but she expected him to be present for dinner. He was not. Alastair commented how James must have been nervous to skip it, especially when food was involved. Then again, he had the right to be. He had a lot of pressure on him.

The next day, all classes were cancelled. Everyone was relieved. Mainly Alethea because she still hadn't finished the 'Plant of Serenity and Despair' essay. Which was due for Madame Lancevail.

As Alethea and members of Death walked towards the racecourse, Crimson had joined them halfway. Apparently, when Crimson got back to St. Ambers, Zed and the others were no longer there much to her dismay. They didn't even find any clue which could help them find The Orb. Secretly, Alethea was glad for this. She didn't know who deserved it. Nick or The Company of Hell. Who could she trust?

Once Alethea stepped on the grounds, she and the others were seated in a cube box with spectators. The spectators were in the higher years in her team. As they stepped on, Alastair told Alethea to hang on to him. Before Alethea could comprehend what he said, she felt the wind whooshing towards her, feeling her stomach drop and legs becoming numb, her breath hitched. She took in her surroundings and found herself and the others hoisted up in the air on a black and white platform. The colours of the platforms represented their team colours.

She looked to her left and right and saw that the Energies and Generals had more platforms. Three to be exact, one on top of the other. There were three screens in front of them, all showing a different angle.

A whistle went off, grabbing everyone's attention. Simmering down, they all looked to Professor Quin (who taught Technomancy). He also had an interest in magical creatures Alethea recalled.

Alethea knew this, because whenever she was in her Classical Beasts and Creatures class, he would invite himself in. Listening to whatever was being taught. He was a small man with a loud voice. He carried his long beard everywhere he went. Surprising anyone how he hadn't tripped over it yet. He always wore a long cloak and big boots, trying to gain height and look intimidating to students. It never really worked.

"NOW," the small man boomed, "RACERS TAKE YOUR MARKS," he boomed once again. Alethea saw James straight away and screamed his name, hoping he could hear her. Although everyone was screaming for their teammates, so she doubted he heard her. It seemed that James wasn't the only one representing the team. Luca was also racing.

"The animal?" asked Alethea. She hadn't learnt about this in her class yet.

"Blooded Horn," replied Charlotte. This was the first time Alethea actually got a response from Charlotte, who didn't hesitate to answer. Alethea found it strange not talking to her. They both were in the adjoining rooms and were with each other most of the time during the year. It was Alethea, Charlotte and James, but Alethea didn't even know how to think of them. She cared for them, but a part of her could not trust them. That part seemed to be partly stronger. "NOW I EXPECT THERE TO BE NO TOMFOOLERY," said Professor Quin, his voice shaking some of the platforms.

Alethea saw there were small Ganuy's holding small cameras. Connected to the big screens. Ganuy's were the sweetest, but also mischievous. Their appearance would make a toddlers' mouth drawl, thinking they were a sweet. They were small candy floss pink-coloured creatures, which used their ears to fly.

Alethea watched their big ears flap up and down, making the camera zoom into Luca. He sat upon a blood-furred creature, with yellow fangs, and sharp claws. Alethea watched its heels dig into the ground solidly, ready to start the race.

"His names' Ivteer," mentioned Anthony. "Useful from time to time." Alethea's' mind drifted to what the creature could come in handy for them and the school, but she didn't want to question it.