Lazarus Rising [2]

Dean dialed a number from inside a phone booth outside the gas station. He heard only an alert tone.

"We're sorry. You have reached a number that has been disconnected,"

Dean hung up the payphone and inserted another coin, dialed another number.

It rang once, then was picked up.

"Yeah?" Bobby's voice asked on the other end of the line.

"Bobby?" Dean asked.

"Yeah?"

"It's me,"

"Who's 'me'?"

"Dean,"

A dial tone sounded.

Dean watched Isabelle waiting by a car before he dialed again.

"Who is this?" Bobby snapped.

"Bobby, listen to me," Dean said.

"This ain't funny. Call again, I'll kill ya,"

The dial tone again.

Dean hung up the phone and walked out of the phone booth.

"Any luck?" Isabelle asked.

"You wanna try?" Dean asked. "Any family? Boyfriend? Girlfriend?"

Isabelle smirked "Is that your way of wondering if I'm single?"

Dean cleared his throat out of embarrassment "You hotwire the car yet?"

***

"You might want to stay in the car," Dean sighed as he and Isabelle drove up to a junkyard.

"Thought you said he was a friend..." Isabelle reasoned.

"Family." Dean corrected "Just wait here until I come to get you...ok?" He didn't wait for a response as he got out of the car and walked up the steps to the door. Dean pounded on the door, midway through the door opened. He smiled cautiously as Bobby looked at him suspiciously. "Surprise,"

"I, I don't..." Bobby started.

"Yeah, me neither." Dean glanced back towards Isabelle before looking back at Bobby "But here I am,"

Bobby took a silver knife and lunged forward, slashing Dean.

Dean grabbed Bobby's arm and twisted it around; Bobby broke the grip and backhanded Dean in the face. "Bobby! It's me!"

"My ass!" Bobby argued.

Dean shoved a rocking chair between himself and Bobby, holding his hands out "Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait! Your name is Robert Steven Singer. You became a hunter after your wife got possessed, and...you're about the closest thing I have to a father. Bobby. It's me,"

Bobby lowered the knife, stepping forward slowly. He placed a hand gently on Dean's shoulder.

Suddenly, Bobby slashed again, but Dean quickly subdued and disarmed Bobby.

"I am not a shapeshifter!" Dean exclaimed.

"Then you're a Revenant!" Bobby countered.

Dean shoved Bobby away, having taken the knife. He held it out in front of him "Alright." Dean sighed "If I was either, could I do this with a silver knife?" He rolled up his left sleeve, and, grimacing, sliced his arm above the elbow with the knife.

A line of blood appeared.

"Dean?" Bobby asked.

"That's what I've been trying to tell you," Dean laughed shortly.