Chapter 38

Leah

The air feels warm and heavy around me as I try to pull myself out of the dark fog that seems intent on keeping me hostage. I take a few deep breaths, my eyelids fluttering as I take in my sorroundings. I'm laying on something soft and comfortable, and an amazing smell flits through my nose, encouraging me to open my eyes and see where it's coming from.

"Leah, baby. Open your eyes for me." A deep, luscious voice rings out from next to me. I nearly groan at the sound as a shiver racks through my body.

"Leah." I hear the voice again. I focus on it more intently this time, the timber and tone       Awareness slams into me as I finally recognize it.

"Alex." I croak out, my throat parched and sore.

"Look at me, little one." His voice practically begs of me. I force my eyes open and squint at the light, lifting my hand to block it out. I hear Alex sigh and feel him lean in closer, his lips pressing against my temple.

"There's my girl. You had me worried." He says with a smile that doesn't meet his eyes.

"What's wrong?" I ask and Alex takes a deep breath.

"You were hurt in the fight. I'm so sorry I wasn't here." He says, his voice cracking with emotion. I reach out to cup his cheek, enjoying the sparks that fly across my skin.

"Baby, you were out doing what you needed to protect us." I say softly and he shakes his head, tears welling in his eyes.

"No. I was played. I was an idiot. Knox betrayed us. He wanted to kill both of us and take our pack." He says and my mouth gapes in shock.

"That fucker!" I yell and Alex's eyes widen in surprise before he tilts his head back to laugh.

"Don't worry, little one. He's dead." He says with a wicked smirk that makes me smile. I push myself off the bed to hug him, but my lower half feels like dead weight.

I feel my brows furrow in confusion as I look down at my legs, trying to get them to move. But nothing happens. They lay there still and I realize I can't feel them. My heart starts to pound and my hands begin to shake as panic sets in. I try over and over to get them to move, but they stay still and unmoving.

"Alex! Why can't I move my legs!" I screech, unable to keep the fear from my voice. Alex grasps my face in his large hands and leans his forehead on mine, shooshing me gently.

"Shhh... baby calm down. Look at me. Please." He begs, his voice breaking every other word. I look up at him, but he's bleary through the tears in my eyes.

"You were hurt. Thrown against a tree. The doctor..." He trails off, clearing his throat.

"The doctor said there was some damage to your spinal cord. That this is likely temporary. You just need to heal a little more." He tries to smile at me, but it lacks any of his usual warmth.

"Likely?! Oh god..." I moan as I begin to sob. I look down at my useless legs, willing, begging them to work. The stillness I'm greeted with taunts me.

"Leah." Alex says, trying to get my attention. But I feel the panic rising, stealing my breath, my heart beating too fast.

"LEAH!" Alex booms and I'm shocked out of my current state.

I've never heard him yell before. At least not at me.

He grabs my face again and gives me a firm look. Gone is the guilt and agony of a few moments before. It's replaced with fierce determination.

"You listen to me. We are going to get you through this. We will do whatever it takes to get you better. You are not in this alone. Our entire pack is behind you, here to help you and support you in whatever way you need." He vows and I feel myself begin to calm.