Disappointed.

Friday 5:20 pm

Friday 5:20 pm.

"Maybe, he'll come another time." My mom said aloud before clearing her throat.

We were sitting at the kitchen table, waiting for Key to arrive. My mother had already started eating but I really wanted to wait for him.

I sighed, "He said he'd be here."

"It was last minute," She said trying to lighten the mood.

"Yeah," I said sadly, slipping my phone back in my pocket after seeing no new notifications, "So how was your trip?"

"It was good Bee. The weather in California was great, I wanna take you to Disneyland soon." She told me, as she cut into her meat on the plate.

"Really?" I said excitedly, momentarily forgetting about my hurt feelings.

"Mmhmm." She says, "Maybe we can go for your birthday."

We sit in silence for a moment because I think about mine and Keyaun's birthdays. I stare at my food, no longer having an appetite.

"Go ahead and eat, Bee. It'll be alright."

"Um...I need to use the restroom," I say, standing from the table.

How could he just not show up?

I go into the bathroom and call him on the phone and it just rings. I send him a text and it delivers but it never shows as read.

I guess something more important came up.

I lock my phone and flush the toilet, to be more convincing. After washing my hands, I walk out of the bathroom to see my mother standing at the door.

"Bailey, can I ask you a question?" She started.

"Mm-hmm." I nod.

"How long have you two been together?"

"Not that long," I admit.

"You know, as your mom, I want to protect you, but I understand you're almost an adult. I can't hold your hand through life... but I don't want you to forget these moments, the disappointments. They can sometimes set the standard of what you accept in life. If he said he would do something, hold him to that, and when he doesn't keep his word, let him know how that made you feel, so he understands what that does to your faith in him as a man."

A tear drops down my cheek because that's exactly what I feel right now.

Disappointed.

•••

"B, you not even payin us no attention," Araceli said on the FaceTime call.

Her and Jazzy had been going back and forth over what we should do for the night.

"My bad y'all. I was lost." I told them tuning in.

"It's a glow party at the skating rink tonight. It starts at 10." Jazlynn announced.

"That sounds like the move," Araceli said.

"Let me ask my mom and we can do that." I agreed, smiling. I still hadn't heard from Key, but I wasn't tripping. I see where we stand.

After my mom said I could go, I come back in the room and start working on my outfit for the night. It had to be something that would be picked up by the black lights.

I stood in my mirror and took some pictures as I heard the doorbell rang downstairs.

"Bee, Jaz is here." My mother called up.

"Coming." I grabbed my Nike fanny pack and a windbreaker jacket.

I ran down the stairs to the open door, "Bye Ma, love you."

"Love you too. You got your house key?"

"Yes ma'am," I say.

"Y'all be safe." She yells behind us as she shuts the front door.

"Girl, you cuuuute." Jazzy squealed.

"Thanks boo," I said hopping in the Jeep, quickly glancing next door and not seeing Key's BMW in the driveway.

He really just left when he was supposed to come see me.

Bet.