9 Aren't You Nice?

After I get out of the shower, I go ahead and put on a mint green bikini. After what Hanna said I feel weird wearing this, but I don't have any tankinis or one pieces anymore. I mean, trying to find an appropriate one piece is hard. I'm the kind of person who wore tankinis until I was a sophomore. It wasn't like I was self conscious about other people seeing me. Only my dad.

He'd probably cry.

And ground me.

Eliza would laugh it that happen.

I blink back the tears as I throw on a tank top and shorts and head downstairs. Cinnamon fills my nose, leading me to the kitchen, where Mrs. Briar is pulling a cinnamon crumble cake out of the oven.

Taking a seat at the counter, I lean forward, my nose tilting upward as my head goes back. "That smells really, really good."

"Thank you, Addison."

At that moment Travis runs down the stairs. "Morning Addy. . . Mom." He kisses her cheek. "Smells delicious." Looks like someone's trying to kiss up after sneaking out.

"Thanks. Where's Hanna?" she asks getting out a knife.

"Snoring."

She scoops the cake onto two plates and hands them to us. Travis takes a seat on the bar stool next to me.

"So what are you kids doing today?"

"Hanna wants me to take her and Addy to the beach."

"Well be sure to wear sunscreen. I wouldn't want your tummy getting fried again. You know how much it hurt last time, and I don't want to have time to be your doctor again this time."

"Mom—"

"And be sure to keep an eye on Addy." She looks at me, and I duck my head. My parents don't trust that I won't run off to look for Eliza, and apparently they openly expressed that concern.

Travis crosses his arms. "Already planning on beating the living daylights out of any boy who tries to hit on Hanna. I'll just plan to do the same for Addy."

I stab a crumbling piece of cake with my fork. "Aren't you nice?"

He shrugs. "Don't expect anyone to hit on you two. But if anyone touches you, I'll make sure their nose becomes located on the back of their head."

My eyes widen, and I'm sure my face looks horrified at what Travis said.

"Travis, watch the violence." Mrs. Briar switches off the stove. "You're scaring the poor girl."