Chapter Nine

Four weeks later and the rumour mill is still spiralling out of control. Not only about Elijah and I, but Grace and her mysterious forehead gash too. I've heard about ninety different theory's, none of which are true. Grace is lapping up the attention around her mystery. Her latest version of events is that she's such a good student they sent her on her first ever solo mission, only Elijah, Lily, Tessa and I know the truth.

I've got to tell you, all the training in the world, and the kids here are totally eating up what Grace says, which makes their training a little questionable, don't you think? What's the point in spy training if you can't spot the different between the truth and a lie?

There isn't a day where I don't get glares and side-eyes as I walk down the hall, despite both Elijah and I profusely denying any involvement. It doesn't help that he and I are always together. We train in the mornings and after school. In the evening we plan strategies, figure out my strengths and weaknesses and we study for the 'normal' lessons together too. But, and almost to my dismay, Elijah has mostly remained professional, as if I am actually his student.

If he wasn't such a good teacher I'd probably have run a mile the other way by now, embarrassed by how long I look at him or how I like the way his mouth moves and the sound of his voice. He seems oblivious though, so I think I mask it well. Though I most definitely went a horrible shade of red when he told me this morning that he's pleased with my progress, and there's no reason I can't be the best. Then he also said that he was expecting me to be a lot worse. Which I know sounds like a compliment, but it kind of isn't.

I've been so busy my backpack is three times as heavy as I am, I've barely had time to think about dad; or mum; or my old life. It's nice, and makes me feel guilty at the same time, like I'm forgetting them. The nightmares have stopped though, and the occasional one I do have, Elijah and Grace are there helping me and fight off the bad guys, so they're not as scary as before. I'll take the peace for now and worry about how to tackle my old life, and the lack of truth in it, later.

"We've got C.M today," Elijah is telling us as we eat breakfast.

"Yeah," Grace says, chewing a piece of bread with her mouth open. They can teach you how to wield a sword but not basic manners. "We know our schedules, dude."

The word 'dude' and her Irish accent sounds alien. "Did you live in America?" I ask, "Is that it?"

"Will you let it go?" She snaps.

"She won't tell you," Tessa shrugs, "known her five years and she's yet to tell me."

"But she likes you, right?" I enquire.

"Yeah, but that was only after living in a dorm with me for two years. She wouldn't be even speak to me when we first started school."

I turn to look at Grace. "What? Why? Just because she's American?"

Grace crosses her arms against her chest. "I'm not going to tell you why, but you should trust that I have a good reason."

"It's a special C.M," Elijah interjects and we all turn to look at him.

"Do you mind?" Lily asks snaps. "We're initiating an interrogation here."

I don't like Lily speaking to him like that, or anyone actually. So, I ask, "What's so special about it?"

"We're leaving the school. Doing a practice mission."

"A practice mission?" Jenny McFee interjects before we have time to absorb his words.

She's wide-eyed and bouncing, eager to know more. I know we should really know better then to have a covert conversation in a dining hall full of kids who have been taught to professionally eavesdrop, but we clearly do not.