Introduction

READ THIS FIRST!!!

This novella is a work of fan fiction, based on the album Son of the Morning by Oh, Sleeper.

Oh, Sleeper are a Christian metalcore (metal/punk crossover) group from Fort Worth Texas, and they make Christian music like you have never heard before, with raw and brutally honest lyrics, episodic storytelling, and merciless yet melodic sonic assault. If you haven't heard of them, and you plan to read this story, I'd highly recommend that you go stream the album right now on Spotify, Apple, or wherever else you get your music. I also highly recommend checking out the annotated lyrics at GeniusLyrics.com to get at the deeper meanings. It's possible to enjoy the story without knowing the source, but I think everything will make sense if you listen to the music first.

The story of the album, which I have adapted into a novella, is based in Christianity, dealing with the final battle between God and Satan as it plays out in the human heart and on an epic scale across the earth and skies. But this isn't a tract, not at all! it's more focused on characters and how good and evil conflict inside all of us. I hope that, like the album it is drawn from, this story will appeal to Christians and non-Christians alike.

A few disclaimers to get out of the way.

Please note that, unusually for Christian fiction in particular, this work contains some heavy themes, brief strong language, and disturbing imagery. Several chapters involve battle violence and gore. One chapter deals with sexual assault. For those who are sensitive, I have posted appropriate content warnings at the beginning of each chapter. In this work, the chapters are fairly loosely connected—which means, if one chapter's content doesn't work for you, you can skip to the next one without losing the plot! Read how you need to for your own wellbeing <3

The concept and storyline do not belong to me. They properly belong to Micah Kinard, frontman and songwriter of Oh, Sleeper, and other band members: Shane Blay, Lucas Starr (RIP brother), Matt Davis, and James Erwin.

This is not the OFFICIAL novelization of Son of the Morning, which Kinard has talked about writing someday (Write Guys podcast). This is simply my own interpretation, made in respect as a loyal Archer (Oh, Sleeper fan).

Enjoy!

- Anna Hamilton, the quantum kitten