Chapter 16

Jack sat down on one end of the couch, and after some deliberation, Alex sat down opposite him, at the other end. He badly wanted to sit down next to Jack, and curl up into his side and squeeze him tightly; but now he was scared that Jack wouldn't want that. He settled for smiling nervously at his teacher instead, and scratching Biscuit behind the ears.

Jack patted the space in between them, and Biscuit leapt up and lay down, panting and looking between them. Alex smiled a little; he loved dogs. Animals understand people much better than people understand people.

Jack was doing his best to make Alex as comfortable as possible, offering cushions and drinks, but Alex refused all. He just wanted to get on with the conversation. Just as Jack began to offer him something else, Alex interrupted. "Jack - could we just talk?"

Jack looked a little startled, and Alex had to remind himself that most people didn't get as anxious as he did about unknown situations. "Please," he added, lowering his eyes.

"Of course," Jack said genially. "Where do you want to start?" Biscuit leapt off the sofa again, trotting off to the kitchen. A few seconds later, they heard hm crunching on his dry food. Jack took the opportunity to shuffle towards Alex and take his hand, just a few centimetres between them.

"I think just - what is our relationship now? Because we were always more than teacher and student before, but now we're something else and - I just want to get it clearly defined."

"I understand," Jack said gently. "I think - and tell me if you don't agree - that I really like you romantically and sexually, as well as your personality. So if you feel the same way and agree with me, I'd like to consider us boyfriends."

Alex couldn't stop the stupid grin that spread over his face. He thought Jack would say it was fun but it couldn't happen again. This was better than he could have hoped for. "Yes!" he burst out. "I would love that!"

Jack beamed as well. He closed the last few inches between them and kissed Alex firmly on the lips, sealing the words they had both just said. "I'm so glad you feel the same way," Jack murmured, their lips still pressed together.

"Do you mind if - well, not slow - but we take things not too quickly?" Alex asked tremulously. This was it, he knew. There was a sinking feeling in his stomach and a dryness in his mouth. This was the moment where he ruined everything.

"Of course I don't mind." Jack ruffled Alex's hair playfully. "My main priority is you, baby."

The sinking feeling vanished and the dryness was replaced with a rush of warmth. He let out an odd squeak and flung his arms around Jack, he was so pleased with this. Jack was his main priority as well now - he valued him even above himself, which some people might say was verging on dangerous, obsessive love. But Alex knew it was his personality - everyone he knew was ranked above himself.

"I'm guessing we're going to keep it a secret?" Alex asked, his voice slightly muffled by his face being pressed into Jack's chest. He felt Jack nod firmly above him.

"We'll have to." Alex nodded as well. He understood, and in a way he enjoyed the thought of having something that was a secret, just between him and Jack; but at the same time, he got an unpleasant rush of anxiety, pre-emptive nerves in case anyone did somehow find out.

"How old were you when you lost your virginity?" Alex asked suddenly. He wanted to know suddenly, to know how much experience Jack had compared to his own - or lack thereof, to be more exact.

Jack chuckled. "Well, I was seventeen, and I don't care that you've never done anything like that because you're fine just as you are." He kissed the top of his head.

Alex smiled weakly, trying to hide it from Jack. He didn't want his boyfriend - that still felt weird to say - to know how happy that made him, not just that Jack thought that, but also that he could see past Alex's words and figure out what the boy was really, subconsciously asking.

"Okay. That's good. Um...how do you...do sex?" Alex asked awkwardly. What he was really trying to ask was 'do you top or bottom?' but his brain failed him.

"I top and bottom," Jack answered. Alex could hear a stifled laugh in his voice at Alex's awkwardness. "Usually I top though." Alex made an "mm" noise to let Jack know he had registered his words.

"That's all, I think." Alex racked his brains. He couldn't think of any other questions to preposition Jack with, at least not then. He looked up and slowly, a little scared, took the lead and kissed Jack. He was pleased when he responded immediately, picking Alex up by his hips and lifting him onto his lap. Alex felt himself growing hard again, to his embarrassment, and ground his hips down a little to relieve some of the tension. He hoped Jack didn't notice.

Jack noticed.

Within seconds, Jack's hand was snaking inside Alex's boxers and rubbing him. Alex threw his head back and let his worries fly away as he enjoyed the sensation.