1. An Agreement

Apples.

There was nothing like an apple on a warm summers day, nothing at all which could top the burst of flavour that hit a man’s tastebuds with every bite, sending a sudden jolt of energy through him as the sweet juices trickled lazily down his chin. It was amazing how much beauty was in one fruit; the way they so delicately and precariously hung from a tree, swinging hypnotically with every breeze, shining brilliantly in the sunlight. The way a single dewdrop would glisten and sparkle brightly as it slowly slid down the curve of the apple. The different variety of colours they could come in, different flavours. Nothing could come between a man and his apple.

“Draco! Is that you I heard? Are you home?”

Except his mother.

“No!” Draco indolently called back, bringing the beautiful fruit to his lips.

“Oh, good!” was the reply. “When did you get in?”

Draco pressed his lips together and closed his eyes in irritation. “Not long ago!” he yelled back.

“Listen dear, I've got to speak with you about something!”

“Spectacular,” he drawled to himself, then to his mother, “Do you think you could come down here first?”

Pause.

“Oh, all right!”

He heard footsteps from the floor above and brought the apple once more to his mouth.

“I hope I didn't call you out of anything important,” Narcissa said, interrupting yet again as she made her noisy appearance, shopping bags dangling on her arms.

“I’m always doing something important,” he said seriously, hardly sparing her a glance.

She ignored that and instead thrust her hands out to touch his waist so suddenly it was all Draco could do to bite back a startled yelp. “Oh honey, you look so thin, are you eating?”

He pushed her hands away impatiently. “I was about to,” he began; ready to express his annoyance, “but someone –”

“Anyway, darling,” she continued, to Draco's complete and utter horror tossing the apple in the bin. She sat her bags on the polished floor and clasped her hands together. “There's something very important we need to discuss.”

Draco’s mouth opened incredulously, torn between fury and shock. “You – you just threw away my apple!” he cried.

“Stop being such a child,” she scolded. “This is much more important than apples.”

He gritted his teeth and slumped down at the long dining table. “Nothing is more important than apples,” he snapped.

Narcissa took a seat beside her son, fixing him with a steady look. “This is. You remember that lovely girl, Ophelia?”

“No,” he said flatly.

“Oh, but you must! Her mother and I were such good friends and as children you used to play together.”

“That little tart?” Draco said before he could stop himself. He scoffed. “Mother, we were never friends nor did I really ever see her.”

She seemed put out. “Okay, so I suppose you didn't have much to do with her –”

“Still don’t.”

“But we have talked about your betrothment to her once before and I still think it’s a very appropriate idea.”

He leaned back in his seat and rested his hands behind his head lazily, incapable of even feigning interest. “Right then, when’s it happening?”