Volume 0: Chapter 1 - Mysteries of Everyday Life

Volume 0: Connections and Puzzles:

As soon as I woke up, I felt a weight on me. I didn't have to think about it, because I knew exactly who it was. As soon as I looked over, I saw Grayfia lying next to me with her arms wrapped around me. She was wearing some kind of nightgown.

I'm sure I went to bed alone last night, so she must have come when I was already asleep.

At first, Grayfia was quite suspicious of me, but after what happened three years ago, she started to change. That incident was the turning point in our relationship. It was a big change for someone who was so distrustful of me. I vividly remember the bleak circumstances in which I met her. She was trapped, a piece in a deadly game that seemed to have no end.

When I rescued her, it wasn't just a question of saving her. I needed an ally at that moment, it was too good an opportunity to miss. It was the beginning of something that I myself couldn't fully understand at the time. Since then, she has become my loyal servant, my protector and the person closest to me. However, there was a lot she didn't know about my past.

She didn't need to know the full truth, at least not yet. But I couldn't help wondering if the words I shared with her that night in the garden had ignited her curiosity about me.

I also hadn't expected her to stay by my side for so long, proof that my plan had worked better than I'd hoped.

Well, it's not a good time to dwell on such things.

Watching Grayfia sleeping serenely next to me, her silver hair falling softly over the pillow, I wondered if I was truly happy with this new life. I certainly should be, right?

Surely it's a totally different feeling than when I was in that cold, sterile room.

Yes, I really was happy, in fact.

Looking at the clock on the wall, I realized that it was about an hour and a half before school started. I didn't want to be late for my second day at school, so I needed to get ready. Grayfia also needed to wake up to start doing her own work.

Grayfia can be a bit scary when it comes to work or commitments, so even I wanted to avoid making her angry about something like this.

Grayfia usually wakes up very early to start her duties as my maid. However, for some reason, whenever she ends up sleeping in my bed, she ends up sleeping much longer than usual. I didn't really understand this very well, but I didn't mind.

I sat up in bed, gently removing Grayfia's arms from around me. This proved to be a rather difficult task, as she was exerting some considerable force.

"...She possesses all that strength in her sleep?"

"Kiyotaka-sama..." She mumbled in her sleep, exerting a little more strength.

That wasn't funny.

The small movement she made left one of her breasts slightly exposed.

"..."

After I managed to get out of bed, I started to wake her up. I reached out and touched her gently on the shoulder, rocking her slightly.

"Grayfia, it's time to wake up. I have to go to school and you have to prepare lunch so I can take it, right?"

This time, she began to move slowly, her eyes still closed. However, it was only a few seconds before her eyes opened and she quickly stood up. She feigned a cough as she looked at me.

"I overslept again, I'm sorry. How much time do we have?" She asked.

Her expression turned a little stern, apparently going into maid mode.