Chapter 25

(Before the attack)

Narrator's POV

It was a peaceful night at the estate and so was Aoi who peacefully washed the dishes. All patients were asleep and so was the girls including Kanao. Her crow didn't gave her mission so she spend her time to rest.

Aoi is a hardworking and strict woman, making all the stubborn patients silent because of her. Her mind suddenly wandered to Inosuke, she wondered if he was okay or is he being reckless again. Even though Tanjiro already encouraged her, Inosuke encouraged her even more. She sighed and closed her eyes remembering his encouraging words he gave to her.

She was outside clipping the blankets and little did she know that Inosuke was standing behind her, watching while eating.

"Hey pipsqueak" she almost jumped in surprise. She turned around and only met by his feminine features. Their gazes locked in a minute. Heat creeps up to her cheeks then she averted her gaze to the ground, breaking their eye contact.

"What do you want? And also, stop calling me 'pipsqueak', you're height is the same as me so stop" she strictly said.

"Whatever you say, woman. I have something to ask you" he asked her then he eats.

"What is it?" she replied while doing her work.

"You're still a member of the Demon Slayer Corps, right? Where's your sword?" he asked while looking at her. She stopped at his question and sighed.

"I still have my sword but.... I'm not slaying demons" she said.

"Why?" she didn't answer him.

"I wanted to have joint missions with you and see you how you fight but why aren't you slaying demons? Answer me, brat" he added then he eats using his bare hands. She was annoyed by the name he called her so she gave up and answer him even though she doesn't want to.

"It's because I'm a coward. I was luckily survived the final selection and after that, I can't overcome my fears and can't fight. All I can do is help people by treating their wounds and make simple medicines. I think the other slayers think that I'm a burden to the corps and a coward because I'm not brave enough face them and fight them" her face turned into a melancholic one. Her negative thoughts filled up her mind, forgetting what Tanjiro said.

Then he replied, "Why does it matter what others thinks of you?" she just fell silent, then he continued, "If they think you're weak, a burden or a coward, it doesn't matter. At least you help people even though you're an annoying brat" her eyes widened at his statement and annoyed by the nickname he called her.

"Stop calling me br-"

While her back faced him, he turned her around to look at him straight in the eyes. She was shocked.

"Listen here, shrimp. If anyone thinks that you're a weak, burden and a coward, I'll fight them no matter what" he stated, his face was close to hers. She was flustered and blushing.

"Y-you better not!" she protested.

"I'd better do it!" he argued back.

"You better not!"

"I'd better do it, you annoying brat!"

"Don't call me br-"

"And here's the last thing before I go to my mission so listen carefully, pipsqueak. I am your boss, the strongest Lord of the Mountains, you got that?" she was annoyed at him.