Chapter Four

Diana quickly plastered a demure smile at the young Prince. Much to her horror, he did recognize her, his grin grew from polite royal greeting to knowing amusement. Diana felt her face heat, becoming rather sweaty all of sudden when the Queen's perceptive eye fell on her with interest.

"It is an absolute pleasure to meet you Ms. Vincent." the pleased grin grew into a smirk as he kissed her hand stealing a glance at her. Diana wished to expire on the spot but knew everyone was watching them.

"And I your, your Grace." Diana managed out pulling her hand away and curtseying.

"I dare say, I must compliment on your...shoes.." he grinned wider deepening his dimples.

Diana shot him a glare, instead of a biting remark she bit her lip.

"Thank you, your Grace. If you'll excuse me I would hate to take much of your time since you have other guests." Diana bowed again dragging her brother away.

"What was that Diana?" Darcy stilled not allowing her to move him further away from the Prince.

"Nothing, I was just not prepared to meet the Prince, like I thought I was." Diana lied.

Darcy's expression soften then grinned amused, "More handsome than you expected? You are blushing!"

"Who is blushing?" Dominic appeared suddenly with two glasses of lemonade handing her one.

"Our little sister may finally be interested in a fellow," Darcy whispered conspiratorially.

Dominic raised an interested brow amused, "Well, well, lofty aspirations dear sister, didn't you hear he is a Prince."

"Who has lofty aspirations? Has Diana set her cap on someone? God help him." Damien downed his glass of wine and now all three of her tall brothers surrounded her.

"I despise you all and I hope you get cursed with an incurable hangover for the rest of your days." Diana eyed each of her brothers who only grinned sweetly at her.

"If you'll excuse me, I must get something to eat." Diana moved to break through the wall of her brothers, instead, they huddle tightly.

"Sorry, dear sister mother has tasked us to ensure you had danced with at least 3 gentlemen and to limit your conversations with your friends." Damien attempted to look sympathetic but failed miserably.

"Let me guess, you filled my card already." Diana crossed her arms and the lack of response from any of them was a confirmation. "I don't understand, why don't you all dance with them and tell me how it goes."

"Sorry dearest, here comes Lord Hatterson, watch for the spittle when he speaks," Dominic whispered in her ear as they watched a larger man with mutton chops that seemed to defy laws of gravity that was Lord Hatterson. The large man was barreling his way toward them at an alarming rate.

"When the time comes for mother to help you find brides, I will remember this." Diana hissed at them as Lord Hatterson drew near.

"But until then, enjoy!" Darcy waved. Diana let Lord Hatterson take her hand and lead her to the dance floor.

"You have a beautiful dress my dear." Lord Hatterson exclaimed and sure enough spittle was showered on her bodice. Diana danced with the man attempting to keep much space between them as possible and to limit the conversation but much to her dismay she concluded he was intoxicated and could not stop speaking about his new phaeton. Diana decided her brothers will pay dearly indeed.

Diana was on the verge of falling asleep with the second gentleman. The young man was someone she hadn't seen before and must have been one of the gentlemen who came out specifically for the royals. The young man called him Mr. Gilden. Unfortunately, her attempts at getting to know him circled back to his obsession with investments where Diana held her tongue.