Chapter 25

There was an explosion, but it came from behind us. We made it through the portal just in time. In front of us was Montressor spaceport. Everyone started cheering, even the pirates down in the brig. Delbert and Amelia embraced each other without even thinking. Once they realized what they were doing, they stared at each other, but very quickly their surprised faces transformed into happy gazes.

"Woo-hoo! Yeah! Wow!" Jim screamed.

"You did it, Jim!" I shouted to him, waving my hands and jumping up and down.

"Oh yeh done it, Jimmy! Yeh done it boy!" Silver shouted, running to the side of the ship to give him a high five. "Didn't I say the lad had greatness in 'im?" Silver was brimming with pride.

Jim circled around and leapt off his board, letting it spin off into space. Morph flew over quickly and covered him in licks.

"Morph! Morph, stop!" Jim laughed trying to push the little shape-shifter away.

"Unorthodox, but ludicrously effective. I'd be proud to recommend you to the Interstellar Academy. They could use a man like you!" Captain Amelia said.

"Just wait until your mother hears about this!" Delbert exclaimed. "We may downplay the life-threatening parts, though," he added, pushing his spectacles back into their proper place on his snout-like nose. Jim chuckled and nodded in agreement.

"Jimmy!" B.E.N. cried, "That was...UNFORGETTABLE! I know you don't like touching, but get ready for a hug, big guy, because I gotta hug yah!" B.E.N. laughed and wrapped all of his thin metal limbs around Jim. And then Jim did something unexpected; he hugged him back.

"B.E.N.!" he laughed, swinging the robot around before putting him back on his feet.

"Hey, you hugged me back," B.E.N. stated, a little surprised. "Oh I promised myself I wouldn't cry," he sniffled, immediately breaking down into sobs against Jim's chest. Jim smiled and patted the robot's back, then looked around, trying to find someone.

He immediately spotted me standing on the other side of the boat. I started running towards him, and he started towards me. When we met in the middle, my arms hugged him around his neck. He wrapped his arms around my waist and swung me around in a circle before putting me down. He gazed into my eyes for a moment before lowering his lips to mine. I was surprised at first, but then I relaxed and let myself enjoy the moment. Fireworks were exploding behind my eyes.

When we pulled apart, he was smiling, and so was I

When we pulled apart, he was smiling, and so was I. I was blushing a little, but I didn't care.

"You don't know how long I've wanted to do that," he said lovingly, resting his forehead against mine so that all he could see was my face.

"Trust me on this, I've wanted to for so much longer," I answered with a smile that refused to leave my lips.

I glanced to the side and saw that everyone was watching us, and blushed even more. Jim and I pulled apart a little, though not too much. I tried to hide my growing blush behind my hair, as usual. Jim just chuckled and took my hand. Everyone looked away and pretended to be occupied with something else.