Chapter 40

The words were everywhere

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

The words were everywhere. Laurence's face had been plastered all over the internet. A poster boy for a crime of passion that he did not commit. And if the headlines were not enough, a picture of Laurence in handcuffs was displayed like wallpaper on every social media platform, impossible to miss.

They had captured him looking down at his hands, eyes wide, clearly in a daze. Like he couldn't process the news that his own hands had done so much harm.

"I can't believe this," I said to my phone. "I knew those socks were trouble but this is insane."

Laliana had gone to check on Iz, leaving me to scour the internet for news of what happened while I sat in my hospital bed. There were dozens of articles about Laurence Royal, claiming he tried to kill me but not a single one mentioned our kiss.

I slumped back into the pillows, mind spinning madly.

I don't understand. If someone wanted to take me down, why wouldn't they post the picture? That would destroy my fashion line. Why keep it to yourself?

"I heard you were awake!" an elderly woman said, scurrying into my hospital room, arms full of bags. She had dark black hair pulled back into a wispy ponytail that was peppered with grey strands. She was several inches shorter than me and wore a blue blouse with jeans that hugged her natural curvy figure.

The woman dropped the bags on the small table in the corner of the room, completely comfortable in my room. "I'm Katherine," she said with a warm smile, like that would connect all the dots to a picture I had in my mind. Then she pulled several pillows out of a large bag. "The pillows here are terrible."

Katherine, who I now believed had completely forgotten who she was supposed to be visiting, walked over to the bed, and before I could do so much as blink, she yanked out the hospital pillows behind me, replacing them with her own, nearly sending me tumbling off the bed.

"Isn't that better?" Katherine asked, voice soothing as she helped me sit back up.

"Um... who are you?"

Katherine stared at me for a long moment and then suddenly, started laughing. "I must look crazy coming in here when my nephew has clearly never made the proper introductions."

"Nephew?" I repeated.

"Tate." She threw me a humored eye roll. "He never stops talking, so I assumed he had mentioned me while working with you." Katherine walked over to the small table, pulling out a container of food and motioned for me to take it.

Note to self: Making yourself comfortable with strangers runs in Tate's family.

"Why?" I asked, eyeing the food suspiciously.

The CEO and Her Driverजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें