Chapter 2

Holden's POV

I can't believe it! Thousands of books and I can't even find the rest of the house of night series? How are they not here?

What is the use of this library then?

I haven't talked to Brandon today. I wonder what's he up to, let me bother him.

His phone rings for a few seconds and maybe too long until he picks up. "What's up?" I hear him say on the other side.

"Can you get to the human town and get me the house of night series man? I can't find it anywhere in this place."

"What's that? Actually I'd rather not know and as much as I'd like to help your royal neediness, I promised my beloved I'm taking a day off.." Right I forgot. Shit now I have to go there myself.

"Fiiinnne! Say hi to Kayla for me would you. " I hang up the phone and take my jacket before leaving.

I decided to walk through the woods instead of driving to town. I need the exercise and besides, I'm the vampire King. I'm fast enough to go there and be back in less than 20.

Walking in the woods is relaxing but it's also dangerous, especially for a royal. There are many possible death threats. Rogue wolves and vampires, witches, hunters, faires even demons.

As I am walking in the woods I catch a scent a little familiar but shake it off. It might just be something I'm thinking about because that happens.

I hear sounds of people from a distance, I think they are fighting and...blood? Not just any blood. I know that blood!

I follow the smell of blood and it led me to three vampires fighting a girl.

She was wearing workout clothes with a hand knife on her hand. She seemed rather prepared. I know no ordinary human or hunter fights like that.

"We haven't had this much fun with dinner, it's a shame you'd have to die hunter. You put on a good fight." One of the vampires say.

I get furious at the words. Without a second thought I pounce at one of the vampires and use my strength to separate his body with his head in such a breeze. Turning around the other one has a hand knife through his head and the girl is on battle stance and faces the other vampire.

"Leave." I tell the vampire. He is not a rogue and therefore can't defy an order. "I'll take care of this."

And just like that he was gone. He was just a kid anyway.

I turn around to see the hunter girl still in standing in defence.

"What are the odds I would try to kill you? Your blood smells like feet." She is confused for a second and then realises. "Holden? Oh my god you are such an ass!"

"I prefer being called a hot ass thank you very much." She takes her hand knife out and wipes it on the grass.

"Thanks for killing one of my vampires Zhavi." She smiles and comes to give me a hug.

"You're welcome pretty boy. It's been so long how have you been doing?"

"I'm doing good but what about you, you look amazing. What happened to the curls?" Last time I checked she had curls that she always complained about but now her hair is straight.

"They are hard to manage but so is keeping your hair straight so it's just for now. After I take a shower they'll definitely be back to normal." She says.

"Well either way I've never been happier to see you're breathing. What are you even doing in America?" She looks as amazing as she used to before but better now.