Chapter Nineteen

A S  T H E prince made his way to the dining room for breakfast, he whistled a soft tune and walked with enthusiasm

A S T H E prince made his way to the dining room for breakfast, he whistled a soft tune and walked with enthusiasm. As of late, things had been wonderful with Louelle. Although they were needing to keep things quiet due to obvious reasons, they'd been growing closer with the newfound romance that blossomed between them.

It had made things simpler in the castle for the prince. He was not in such a terrible mood around the king, his days no longer dragged on, and he was no longer feeling weary. She was the first person he saw in the morning and the last at night, often falling asleep beside her or with her in his arms. He never meant to fall asleep beside her, but the peace and serenity he felt when it was the two of them alone, it was impossible not to.

He figured it was also why his days had been smoother. When he and Louelle weren't on the best of terms, sleep evaded him. He was kept awake with the dreaded thoughts of her not being in his life any longer.

He did not have to worry about it any longer. His Louelle was back at his side (of course, in secret), just as she should have been all along.

Thatcher greeted the two guards stationed outside of the dining hall with a smile before entering. King James had already taken his seat, per usual, and was speaking with Barclay, also a normal occurrence.

"His Majesty." The prince bowed slightly at the king and tugged on his chair to pull it away from the table. "Lady Maryann," he addressed the lady who was already seated. She was wearing a tightened expression, seemingly annoyed.

His eyes flickered to the opposite side of the table to his true lady. He frowned upon seeing the same pinched look written on her face as well.

She met his eyes and he pushed aside the fluttering of his heart.

What did I miss? he questioned silently.

Louelle subtly shook her head and readjusted the silverware placed in front of her. Not now, was her telepathic response. 

He tried his best to ignore the tension between the two sisters, aware there was some kind of squabble that happened between them. But with the snide remarks shot across the table by both parties every so often, it was difficult for him to. Instead, he attempted to focus on the conversation King James and Barclay were having. Even then, it seemed impossible for him. He was growing exhausted from constantly hearing about Spain.

Perhaps there was a solution he could draw up and present at one of the meetings, regardless of him having been told he must remain silent. The king more than likely would dismiss any idea the prince had, but Thatcher had to prove he was trying. That way, the king would see his capabilities of running the country when the time came to be, and the arrangement with Maryann could be dropped.

He enjoyed the privacy between him and Louelle, but he wanted her to know he was trying to get out of it - while keeping his position on the throne. He also was growing tired of keeping them secret, afraid to be caught by a simple breath of air.