Relativity

Ruturaj

Before holding the door up for her, I glance through my room

Before holding the door up for her, I glance through my room. The bed is made, the kit is in its place, the desk looks neat, the curtains, yes, the curtains need to be opened.

As she settles down in my chair, I adjust the curtains and open the window a little to let some of the evening sunlight in. The sun is yet to set. When I turn, I notice Kritika looking at my... legs?

"Damn, now I know the secret to those killer legs."

A chuckle escapes my throat at her comment. I tilt my head to take the way she's sitting in. With her arms hung sideways, she looks so tired.
I pick a pillow up and offer to place it behind her back.

She shakes her head. "I have full intention of lying down on your bed if you don't order the Nimbo Pani and let me go."

Her tone is serious but her cheeks are flushed. Not sure why but I want to touch them.

Rutu, you're just a guest to her, remember?

"I won't mind if you lie down for a while. In fact I myself want to lie down."
I stretch my back. The muscles feel rigid.
You have to keep pushing yourself if you want to fit in, Rutu.

I know. I will.

Kritika gets up from the chair and lies down on the left side of the bed.
I join her after ordering two nimbo panis from the room service.

"Aren't most things relative, Ruturaj?"

I turn my head to see her looking at the ceiling. I remain quiet because I have a feeling that there's more to that question.

"I mean, the bedsheets seem so soft and the mattress ah...I have been in the rooms countless number of times and touched the mattresses but I realised their worth only when I needed them which is now when I'm tired. What do you think?"

Her abrupt turn of head throws me off guard and I look away to gather my thoughts.

"Hmm... I do agree that some feelings are relative. Relief is relative. And anger,yes. So is sadness, even fear. But then what
about love? I don't think love is relative."

I look back at her to see her frowning.

She smiles a little as she says, "So you are saying that love isn't relative."

I nod. "With respect to the person, it is. But we're talking in terms of time and situation right?"

She nods.

"Then I think when you love someone in any way, no matter what the latent emotion is, under the surface, there's only affection. Time and situation do not change it."

"You have an interesting observation there. I agree that the feeling of love lingers throughout time but I also believe that the intensity can vary."

"Yes. Definitely."
She is back to looking at the ceiling and I watch her do so. She must have felt my gaze because she turns her head and asks, "IPL is 3 weeks away. How do you feel about that?"

I swallow. I would rather not ruin the moment talking about how anxious I am, and maybe God wants that too because we hear the bell. Kritika gets up and stands behind the pillar as I open the door. It takes a lot of effort to not look at her adorably attentive face.

I give her the glass.
She seems more comfortable with the bed's support because she does not go back to the chair. I sit next to her.

"Cheers." I hold my glass up.

"Cheers." She raises her glass to mine.

Kritika has this way of appreciating things which make the mundane seem magical.

That's what she is doing right now.

"Why! Why have I never thought of ordering a Nimbo Pani? Forget ordering, why have I become so consumed by the coffee culture to not pay attention to other refreshments? God, Ruturaj, I can hug you for this."

I grin. "You may, if you want to." I tell her not expecting her to actually put her hands around my neck. I freeze for a second. Her voice brings me back.

"I know you're worried about the season. But don't be. You are amazing. And you're going to show them that you are."

I rest my head on her shoulder and say, "Thank you." That's when I feel her hitting on my back. Ouch. She breaks the hug.

"Don't thank me, silly. That's what friends are for."
Right.
Friends, you heard that, Rutu? Friends.

I push the tinge of disappointment away. I'm lucky to have Kritika in my life, in any way.

We stop laughing when we hear the bell again. I watch through the hole and see Sai!

"It's Sai!" I whisper, surprised to see that Kritika is not panicking.

"I'll hide in the washroom. Text me when the coast is clear." She winks as she tiptoes to the bathroom.

This girl.

I smile as I run a hand through my hair determined to help her get out of the washroom as soon as I can.

A/N - Tried writing from his point of view. Thoughts?
Until next time, take care.