(Chapter 1)

Chapter 1

"Excuse me, could you please go a little faster? I'm almost late," Mia nagged the taxi driver. She had fifteen minutes to get to work and she couldn't afford to be late, again.

"Sorry, there's an accident up ahead," the driver said impatiently, scratching his head, "I think it would be better if you walked instead. I don't see this jam moving any sooner." he suggested.

Mia sighed. Not having any other option, she hopped out of the taxi after paying the driver, slamming the door behind. She was not in the mood to speed walk three blocks. She glanced at her watch. She wouldn't make it. Unless something miraculous happened, like wings growing on her back, enabling her to fly.

Everyday, she had to wake up early to go to work at Tim Hortons. She had a six year old son that she must take care of, and waking him up in the morning always took up half her time. After that, she had to cook breakfast, get him dressed up and pack his lunch.

Mia was a single mother. She worked hard for her child. Many badmouthed her when they found out the child didn't have a father. Her dad nearly had a heart attack when she broke the news to him. She swallowed hard at all the bad words she'd received from her father. After all, she was only tenty-one when she gave birth to Nathan. But the moment Nathan came out of her womb, her dad's heart softened and ever since then, they'd kept a good connection.

"Fuck!" she yelled angrily as mud splattered on her brand new pencil skirt. She glared hard at the red Honda Civic that came zooming by. Mia was so chafed that she wanted to kill everyone who were standing on the sidewalk.

The car parked in front of her. She was clueless as to how she would remove the stain from her skirt. She wondered if she should still go to work or just head back home. Her day was ruined. Stomping towards the red car, she banged on the window. "What the hell?" she yelled, "Why can't you watch where you're going you son of a bitch!" she hissed as she pointed at the mud and dirt that were settling into her skirt.

The driver opened the door and got out. A tall and handsome man. He was wearing a beige cotton t-shirt, faded jeans and white trainer shoes. He lowered his aviator shades.

His mouth opened in surprise, revealing a perfect set of white teeth. He gulped.

"M-Mia?" he asked. Mia looked at him. For a single moment, their eyes locked. She blinked as her heart began thudding loudly.

"Clyde...?"

"Oh my god, Mia," he said breathlessly, approaching her with open arms. Mia held up her hands and backed away, turning around as she walked away from Clyde. Her heartbeat was faster than a bullet train.

"You're leaving me again?" Clyde yelled, his voice filled with aggravation. Mia stopped. What? She thought to herself. Facing him, she stared at him cold and hard. Was she seeing sadness in his eyes?

"What do you want me to say? Hi, hello?" she growled, "How are you?" she added gruffly. Mia clutched her leather bag harder as if she was getting all her energy from an inanimate object.

Clyde looked down, "Here, use this." he presented her a blue handkerchief. Mia frowned, scoffing. She recognized that stupid thing. She'd given it to him on his 20th birthday.

She closed her eyes, asking God what she had done wrong. Why must she see him again?

Clyde was her classmate in college. He studied civil engineering while she took the accountancy course. Their attraction was instant and intense. She remembered the day when Clyde invited her to dinner. Her heart did sommersaults.

Mia couldn't describe the electricity between them when they were near each other. She was flooded with roses, and he invited her to go out every weekend. And Mia, being her naive self always agreed to go. She was almost like a robot that followed whatever he said.

Their relationship reached the next level. On their first year anniversary, she lost her virginity to him. She even met his parents when they visited their hometown in Alberta. She liked them very much.

Until one day, she accidentally found a photo of a stunning woman. She was slim, attractive and beautiful. She was everything she wasn't.

She remembered the dedication behind.

Clyde,

Can't wait to see you again. Love you so much!

Love, Jen

At that exact moment, Mia hated Clyde. She regretted the day when she had fallen in love with him. He played with her like a toy. Her life became completely different. She didn't confront him. What was the point? Instead, she chose to just walk away.

Mia decided to move back with her parents. She even transferred University. One lazy afternoon, she discovered she was pregnant.

Life was tough for a single mother then. But she didn't back down. A smile from her cute son and all her worries disappeared, even just for a moment.

Mia's thoughts trailed back to reality. She worried for her son, and suddenly, fear engulfed her like a black hole. Clyde had no right to him.

"Can we talk privately?" Clyde's voice was hoarse, raspy with emotions. He approached her, scanning her from head to toe. Mia's face haunted him for years. She looked even more exquisite and stunning.

"I don't have time to talk to you, Mr.Calvin." she said bluntly and turned around. Clyde grabbed her left arm.

"Please, Mia, I beg you. Let's talk. Everyone's looking at us. I don't want to make a scene," he begged in a gentle voice. Snatching her arm away from his grasp, she rolled her eyes. He was standing in front of her as he waited for her answer.

Mia looked down, not able to bear his intense, burning stare any longer. She felt like she was being scalded on fire. With her heart crashing violently against her chest, she managed to reply. "Fine." she said sternly. A sweet smile curled up on Clyde's lips.

Clyde brought Mia to a chinese restaurant. He hadn't forgotten she loved Chinese. So what? Mia thought. He pulled a chair for her to sit.

"I can do it myself." Mia sad stubbornly.

"I'm sorry for what happened earlier,"  he apologized sincerely.

Clyde took the seat across from her, his eyes never leaving her back. Mia didn't respond, instead, she focused on her surroundings. The restaurant manifested elegant interior decor. It was certainly attractive and appealing to the eye. Perhaps she would enjoy the cozy ambiance of the place if it was only her and her son Nathan.