The beginning.

I woke up and was immediately pushed out of bed to see the beheading of Marie Antoinette. I knew immediately I had slept in way too late because the beheading started at 12:30pm¹ but the sun was saying it was around 11:30. I was escorted to the courtyard where the execution was taking place by my Butler, now secret lover. I smile in his direction but he grimaces back, obviously uncomfortable at the sight of a crying Marie who was tied to a chair on the small stage. Later everyone was quiet after her gruesome death, almost in a state of mourning but there was one person who seemed especially affected by the ex-queen´s demise. My butler. He set flowers and some chocolates, the chocolates he had to travel all the way to a chocolatier for, out in the lawn because they were ¨her favorite things¨².
I was growing ever suspicious of him everyday considering everyday he has been getting more and more depressed. Finally I snapped and asked him what was wrong with him because it seemed like every time someone even began a word with M he would curl into himself.
He finally stood up, I could even see that he was visibly nervous. Everytime his heart beat it would rattle his shirt and his breathing was rapid along with that. ¨I have been lying to you, Mary.” At this point my heart had dropped, it's never an enjoyable experience being told you've been lied to and especially when those words come from your boyfriend's lips.
¨It´s going to sound really corny but I´m actually Louis XVI (the 16th).¨
I stand there in shock, not that I believed him but because he thinks that he can scare me for days just to say a dumb lie. It seems like the only thing I could bear to say was ¨What.¨ and I could tell that made him even more nervous. ¨I can prove it.¨ I shake my head at the fact that he's deciding to continue the joke even after I´ḿ clearly not laughing.. Until he pulls out his dapper³ suit that he was wearing when he first appeared on my doorstep just some months ago.
¨Look on the inside of all of these. They are all labeled in gold that they belong to me and to Versailles. Me being Louis XVI.¨ I looked at all of the clothes in shock. He must have stolen them. But how? The palace was guarded every hour of every day of every week. He would have had to teleport in to be able to make it in. ¨Well…¨ he continued while I stared down at the plain cotton clothes that cost thousands of dollars laid recklessly in my living room, ¨Do you believe me now?¨.
I cannot help but laugh. It felt like I was losing my mind because literally just how.
¨Wait, aren't you dead? Have I been.. With a ghost this whole time¨
This would have been a joke in the time that this was being written but considering it was the 17th century and people were HIGHLY religious during this time, it was no joke.
¨No..¨ He says with a laugh. ¨It didn't take much to convince the guards to switch me out for someone else considering how miserable it is down here when it comes to the economy. ¨
I nod. I drop the clothes and silently wave over to the closet, motioning for my Butl- Louis. To put away the clothes that were skewed across the floor away. I was in such shock that even though it was only around 5pm it was dark enough to go to bed, considering it was January. Which is exactly what I did.
During my nightly prayers I simply prayed that I would forget everything about what had happened that day.

The End.