16 Runaway

When the song ended, I took the chance to separate from Emily as politely as I could, clapping for the musicians and denying the girl's request for a second dance under the explanation of needing to discuss a matter with Benthem, even asking her if she'd seen him. She pouted at my rejection but pointed off in the direction of the front doors anyway. I thanked her, clasping her hand in my own in gratitude which I regretted a moment later when I saw the way her eyes lit up at the contact. I headed off where she had pointed. A few feet away, I saw them. Benthem and Elijah, speaking in hurried hushed tones and donning their coats. Benthem was handing Madison something.

"Benthem?" I queried as I approached.

"Victor," Benthem nodded back though he did not stop quickly shrugging on his coat. Madison moved forward to help him find the arm holes as Elijah rushed toward the door.

"What is going on? Are you leaving?"

"I- er, yes. We are. Something has come up and-"

"What's come up?" I asked, beginning to feel panicked myself at the state they were in.

"It's Ella!" Madison cried and I noticed her puffy tear-stained cheeks for the first time. That was when the true panic began. I grabbed a nearby servant and sent him running off for my own coat.

"What's happened?" I asked.

"I think I- oh, it's all my fault! I've upset her and, when I went to apologize, I upset her again and now she's run off!" Madison wailed. Benthem hushed her, glancing around to see if anyone had heard.

"Run off?"

She nodded.

"Where?" I asked.

"Toward town," Benthem answered as I grabbed my coat from the servant and began shrugging it on. He took me by the arm and pulled me away from the ball, out of the house and down the steps into the brisk night air. "Elijah saw her go. He called after her but she just kept running."

"She's gone," an out of breath Elijah reported, having run to the end of the drive and back. He looked absolutely horrified, running a hand through his hair and glancing about in every direction. "Benthem, she's out there alone."

"I know," Benthem answered, holding out a hand in a gesture intended to calm his friend. "We'll find her. We can cover more ground if we split up. You take the residential quarter. You know who her friends are there, who she might run to. I'll take the shops and-"

"I'll take the rest," I offered.

"No, Victor," Benthem stopped me with a hand on my chest. "This ball is practically in your honor. You need to stay. I'm sure Elijah and I can find her on our own. We don't-"

"I'll take the rest," I repeated, tone firmer this time. Benthem turned back to Elijah and the two of them exchanged a look I didn't quite understand but it ended with Elijah nodding and myself being dragged along toward the street.

We split up at the end of the drive. Benthem gave Madison instructions to return to the party and ensure that no one, most of all the Earl and the Countess, were made aware that either Ella or Elijah had gone. As for my absence which would undoubtedly become quite noticeable, she was instructed to inform the hostess that a bit of business had come up and Benthem and I had to leave to take care of it. With that settled, we set off to our various assigned areas to find the runaway Lady.

I strolled through darkened streets alone, trying not to think about how dangerous they might be for a solitary young Lady and peering into windows and stepping into cafes and restaurants to see if she had ventured in. I even stopped in an inn or two to see if she'd taken a room. In truth, I hadn't the slightest idea where she might go. I imagined Elijah would have better success at the homes of her friends or even Benthem might find a lead in one of the shops. Because when it came to where a young Lady might flee in the dead of night I hadn't the faintest idea where to look. But I knew where I would go.

It was a foolish thought. It made absolutely no sense. Young Ladies of her class liked embroidery and lace, tea and friendly card games. So why I found myself standing in front of a dirty old tavern, I hadn't the faintest idea. And yet, peering inside I saw a beautiful raven perched upon a rotted old bar stool.