Chapter 3

Markham House

            Myles emerged from the Duke of Markham’s study after signing the marriage contracts, a hundred thoughts floating around in his brain at this momentous moment of his life. In just a few short minutes he would be a married man, something he never thought he would be after Amanda’s reconciliation with Warrick.

            He’d met Quintin Radbyrne, the other person who would be accompanying them on their voyage to China and recognized him from the night before at the inn. He liked the man and Radbyrne had assisted the Duke by showing Myles where to sign the contracts, after reading them carefully to be sure of their wording. Long years spent with Herrington-Maddox Shipping instilled in Myles to read the contents before penning his name to any contract. It always amazed him what some people tried to sneak into them hoping he would not read them thoroughly before he signed.

            He was following the Duke and Radbyrne striding along the long hall toward the drawing room, where soon he would be married to Catherine and become the new Earl of Twynforde. When they entered the ornate gold and ivory drawing room he saw that Amanda, Devlyn and Oliver were already there along with a black-haired woman he had yet to meet and a man in flowing robes. The black-haired woman was introduced to him by the Duke as Lady Beatrice Payne, Catherine’s aunt, the Duke’s only daughter. She, too, he noticed, had the same violet eyes as her niece and the others, but not nearly as beautiful as Catherine’s were.

            The bishop, who was to marry them, was none other than the Archbishop of Canterbury himself, a long time family friend of the Landsdowne’s the duke informed him. Myles took a deep breath as he waited for his bride to join them in the drawing room.

            “Nervous?” Oliver asked as he came to stand beside Myles.

            “No not really,” Myles answered and he wasn’t, he just wanted it over with so that he and Catherine could begin their life together and he needed to be sure everything aboard his ship was ready for them to depart for China in less than three days from now.

            “Well, I certainly was,” Devlyn said from Myles other side in a hushed voice. “I didn’t know Amanda anymore than you know Catherine Landsdowne. I made sure not to show that I was though.”

            “The difference between my marriage and yours is I want to marry Catherine,” Myles replied with a smile to the duke. “You and Amanda were forced by the fact you compromised your future wife, by mistake.” Myles knew he would probably never let Devlyn Maddox forget how his marriage with Amanda came about.

            “Yes, he was,” Amanda came to stand facing the three men. “But see how well ours finally turned out.”

            All three men chuckled as Devlyn moved closer to his wife and put an arm around her shoulders. Amanda rolled her eyes at them.

            “I think we should take a seat, Devlyn,” she went on to tell her husband. “I believe Lady Payne has gone to inform her niece everyone is present and accounted for. You two,” she looked toward Myles and Oliver, “should go and stand near the Archbishop.”

            “Yes, Madame Duchess,” Devlyn said taking his wife’s arm and directing them toward the seats that were arranged for the wedding as Oliver and Myles chuckled once more.

            Seeing Amanda with Devlyn and how happy she was now, made him happy for her, for them, Myles thought as he watched the two walked away arm-in-arm smiling at one another.

            Myles and Oliver moved to stand near the Archbishop. “Nervous, young man?” the Archbishop asked him.

            “Maybe just a little,” Myles admitted with a smile as the few people seated to witness the marriage rose from their chairs when Lady Payne slowly entered followed by the Duke of Markham with Catherine on his arm.