Chapter four

I wake up to Thomas yelling at a crow to leave. I look down and see Roxy curled up in my lap, still asleep. Thomas looks around. The others are awakened by Thomas's yelling.

"They seem to be gone for now. We should get going," He says. I nod and start to reach for my bag.

"Wait." Minho says. "Are we just going to ignore what she did last night? What was that thing? I mean it was shucking awesome, but still."

"I'll tell you all while we walk. But Thomas is right. We should get going," I say. Holding Roxy, I stand up. Minho nods. Everyone else grabs their bags and stands. We start walking. "Does anyone know what those things were?" I ask.

"Cranks," Thomas says. "People infected from the flare." I nod. We exit the place we were hiding in and are soon greeted with a city of sorts. Sand covered the floor and streets, and none of the buildings seemed unharmed.

We walk through the city. "So. Care to explain that black thing that came out of you last night now?" Minho asked as we walked into the city.

"That was venom!" Eli exclaims.

"Huh?" Minho asks.

"Venom! It's like a parasite, although Venom doesn't like to be called that. It's awesome!" Eli says.

"Yea... basically." I say.

"Woah... that's shucking awesome," Minho says.

"I know!" Eli says. Venom branches out from me so everyone can see it's face.

"Hi!" Venom says. Minho's eyes get wide.

"It talks?" He asks. Venom nods. "Woah... that's so cool!"

"I know," Venom replies. As we walk, Venom and Minho keep talking, venom showing off the things he can do, like it did when Newt first discovered Venom.

"Looks like no ones been here in a long time..." Newt says. I nod.

"Wait..." Thomas says, stopping in his tracks. "Everyone hide!" He yells. Venom goes back inside me and we run underneath a collapsed bridge. Something flies overhead. I'm guessing it's from WICKED. It passes and we get out from under the bridge.

~newt's pov~

We walked through the destroyed city. I walked towards the back. We made it out of the city and up to the top of a sand dune. In the distance, I could see blue colored mountains. Between us and the mountains we needed to get to was desert. So. Much. Desert.

Thomas points to the distant mountains. "There. That's where we're going."

"It's so far away..." Minho mumbles. Eli nods in agreement.

Then, Winston falls down the sand dune.

"Winston!" Thomas yells and we rush over to him. He's breathing heavily. We build a makeshift stretcher for him to lay on. Frypan and I drag him across the desert as we begin to cross it.

We reach a fallen bridge and rest under it for a bit. Y/n set Roxy down and gave her some water. I watched as she smiled and played with the puppy. I leaned back against the bridge and sat down.

A little while later, a gunshot rings through the air.

~Y/n pov~

I look over to see Winston holding a gun. Frypan takes the gun from him. I rush over.

"What happened?" Thomas asks as he and Teresa rush over.

"It's spreading..." Winston panted. He lifted his shirt to reveal black and blue veins and skin covering his stomach. A few black cuts were barely visible from where the cranks got to him. "I'm not going to make it..."

"No...-" Thomas starts.

"Please. Let me go," Winston says weakly. Newt slowly takes the gun from Frypan and walks over to Winston.

"Newt-" Thomas says. Newt bends down and places the gun in Winston's hand.

"Thank you..." Winston whispered. Newt nodded.

"Come on. We should get going..." Newt said quietly. I could tell he was trying to stay put together and not cry. I nod and follow him out into the desert. Everyone follows us. I look back and see Thomas talking with Winston. He soon joins us. We walk along a sand dune. We all stop as a gunshot rings out, echoing in my ears.