xviii. where is peter parker?

chapter eighteen!
where is peter parker?

    "ARE YOU nervous?"

Nina met Mary Jane's gaze over the brim of her hot chocolate. In her hands, she clutched an envelope from New York University that held a yes or no answer to Nina's future. She felt awkward holding it, but just as nervous as she did last year when she finished her senior year, awaiting many letters with answers from every college she applied for. She had been given answers of 'no' for all of them, and Nina wasn't expecting the best out of this time, either. Especially when all of her others had said no, again. An interview she went to had stated something very similar the first timepicking a graduating boy over her to pursue science like it was 1950 or something.

This was the last one she applied to, and the last one she received a letter for. She got it this morning but had been way too scared to open it. She rang Mary-Jane, and her best friend demanded to go for a coffee (or in Nina's case, hot chocolate) before her audition to be there for her no matter the result.

"Yeah," Nina answered, watching her best friend tuck her bright red hair behind her ears instead of opening her letter.

"Are you excited?"

"Yeah."

MJ gestured to the envelope with a bounce of her brows to say, then go on, open it.

Nina pursed her lips. She glanced down at the letter, eyeing NYC crest on the sleeve and then her name. All she needed to do was to just open itrip off the bandaid, as her mother would say. But Nina was chewing her bottom lip with anxiety. In the end, she decided, "Maybe after another hot chocolate"

"Nina!" chuckled Mary Jane, eyes bright with excitement for her. "This is already your third hot chocolate."

"But"

"Just take a breath," MJ grabbed her hand across the table, giving her an encouraging nod. Nina pursed her lips, her leg bouncing under the table. "Just take a breath, and open it."

"But what if it's no, again?" Nina slumped. "This is my last back-up."

Mary Jane shrugged, sighing, "Then ... I suppose it is what it is. But you'll try again next year. Maybe pick ESU? Either way, they're going to get Nina Hartnothing will stop her."

Nina smiled despite it, blushing a little at her friends fierce comment. MJ grinned, proud and quickly drummed her hands on the table lightly, "And drum roll ..." she kept on going, waiting for Nina to open it. She chuckled, shaking her head. "Drum roll ..." continued Mary Jane, "... come on, Nina ... open the letter ..."

Nina laughed this time, quiet but a few of the other people sitting down in the cafe gave them strange looks. "Okay, okay! I'm opening it, I'm opening it."

MJ grinned and sat forward, clasping her hands and looked to be ready to burst from her excitement. They've always been supportive of each others dreams, ever since they first became friends. Nina had been there for when MJ's parents told her she'd never act, and Mary Jane has been there for Nina when idiots told her a girl could never be a scientist.