1. Dumbstruck

The old house stood eerily amidst the gloom, its wooden structure resembling a monstrous creature with towering claws ready to ensnare its next victim

The old house stood eerily amidst the gloom, its wooden structure resembling a monstrous creature with towering claws ready to ensnare its next victim. Perched on a little hill, moss covered the corners, and the second-story windows remained unlit, lending an air of mystery to the place. A scattering of trees filled the front yard where we stood.

One word: creepy.

The tall structure looked abandoned for ages as if it held the weight of countless painful memories and sorrowful cries. It sent chills down my spine and seemed to whisper secrets from its dark past.

Or maybe I just imagined it that way so I could find an excuse to go back to our old house. This wasn't how I planned things.

My parents weren't supposed to get divorced, my heart wasn't supposed to be shattered in front of the entire school when my boyfriend dumped me, and I never imagined spending my senior year in such an odd place!

The house was ancient, abandoned, and yes, it had a creepy vibe, but there was something oddly beautiful about its medieval charm. The best part? We got it for a surprisingly low rent!

"Isn't it beautiful, Claire?" my elder brother, Jake, got out of his car and stood beside me. "This place is much more peaceful than our old neighborhood in Rivera."

"Nope. Nowhere near beautiful. And way too quiet. Creepy!" I shuddered, but he brushed off my concerns.

"Come on now. Help me unload the bags," he said, tugging me back to the car.

I scoffed like a little girl and suggested, "Can't we just go back to Rivera? I hate this place. Super creepy! I swear I saw someone watching from the windows above. I don't think this is safe." I may have exaggerated a bit.

He laughed, "Oh, we both know that's not happening. Remember what Mom said. Rivera is in the past; Havendell is?"

"the present and Hell is the future," I added that last part on my own.

Jake laughed again and reminded me while gazing at the sky, "It'll be Hell if you keep standing here. Looks like it'll rain. So, hurry before we get ourselves and our luggage wet." I shrugged and lazily followed my brother to get our bags.

A month ago, Jake helped Mom move most of our furniture and luggage here. He and I stayed back in Rivera with our grandmother to finish our semesters. Jake just graduated from high school and will attend Springwood University this fall, away from Havendell. Lucky for him.

And me? I'll be stuck in this hellhole, finishing my senior year without my best friend, Aria, and my dad. Mom got a back-office job for the night shift at one of the finest restaurants here, 'Sands & Witches,' all thanks to my Aunt Holly.

After the divorce, Mom thought moving across the country would help us all. And just like that, my life changed when my dad cheated on Mom. Now I'm halfway across the country in a completely foreign land where we know zero people. Aunt Holly moved out of town just before Mom moved in. Ugh... I can't handle all this now.