Chapter 26

🏎 Race Day - Hungaroring, Hungary🏎

It was the final race before the summer break.

Dakota and Mark sat side by side in the FIA garage as rain poured down in the pit lane.

"We're going to be doing some slipping and sliding today," she said, eyeing the puddles forming outside.

"How many DNF's are we thinking?"

"Three?"

"Seems reasonable," Mark nodded, watching the mechanics set up the easy-ups over the cars.

"Mind giving a status update to McLaren next door?" one of the FIA officials asked, popping their head into the garage.

"Sure," they nodded, standing up.

Mark scanned the garage as crew members decked out in orange milled about.

"Busy day today for you safety car drivers," Zak Brown said, greeting the two.

"For sure, I mean look at the puddles."

"Are we racing or is it delayed?"

"Nope, we're racing. I think the rain should stop in a few," Mark said, glancing at the radar.

Dakota was busy scanning the room, her gaze landing on the brown haired Italian.

He smirked, sending her a wink that made her blush.

Mark raised a brow, glancing between the two.

"Is there something I'm missing here?" he whispered to Dakota.

"Huh? No, nothing. Why?"

"Because he can't seem to keep his eyes off of you."

"Shut up."

"I think it makes him even grumpier because he wants what he can't have."

Her eyebrows raised. "And by that you mean?"

"He wants you Dakota. You're just oblivious."

She stayed silent, refusing to believe anything he was saying.

Alessandro and Dakota had a complicated relationship.

90% of the time they were at each others' throats. The other 10% was what happened that night at her apartment.

He was a complicated man and to me, he was like a puzzle she needed to solve.

She kept falling for his stupid tricks, letting him kiss me, touch me. But I knew he didn't want to settle down and have a real relationship.

And she was a a fool for letting him think there was a chance for anything less.

"I recognize someone walking with a boner when I see them. It's a rather awkward experience, with him wobbling away when you bend over to check out the cars."

"Mark!" she exclaimed, slapping his shoulder.

Her face burned, the tips of her ears turning pink.

"What? I'm just stating the obvious."

"I-I'm not talking to you ever again," she stuttered, walking away from him.

"That's childish, Kota," he sang, amusement clear in his voice.

The race began as usual.

Or so she thought.

Yellow flags were waved before the cars made it to turn 1.

"What the fuck happened there?" Mark mumbled, watching the replay intently.